Sign in to follow this  
zxd9

BBB hardware upgrade

I'm not a hardware guy, I write software for a living so bear with me on this question that may be obvious to others.

How difficult would it be to redesign and increase the RAM to 2gb and change the power source and digital IO to 24v?

I know that is not the intent of the original design but it's close to what I need, just needs some minor (or maybe not so minor) tweaks.

I have an idea for an industrial application but most everything in those environments is 24v.

Thanks,

Mark

Doubt you'll get too far with the RAM upgrade with this type of board. But the 24V part is doable with a cape. You probably wouldn't put such a level on all the I/O pins due to the sheer number plus limited board space for fitting the translator hardware, but that's all in the design. The main processor itself can only work with 3.3V signals. The level shifter board would include some kind of buck converter to step down 24V to 5V (then the beaglebone steps down 5V to 3.3V and its other various core voltages).

Sent from my Galaxy Note II with Tapatalk 4

Thanks for the input Spirilis.

If I could get 16 24v IO that would be good.

I was actually thinking that I could take the existing hardware design and have someone "upgrade" with the necessary components to get 24v and more RAM.  A cape would be nice just to get the screw terminals on for the IO.  I know the footprint would change but that's OK by me.

Thanks for the input Spirilis.

If I could get 16 24v IO that would be good.

I was actually thinking that I could take the existing hardware design and have someone "upgrade" with the necessary components to get 24v and more RAM. A cape would be nice just to get the screw terminals on for the IO. I know the footprint would change but that's OK by me.

Gotcha. Contact CircuitCo about that, they're the ones manufacturing the BeagleBone, also be aware the BeagleBoard.org design company has other boards based on the same processor too. If this is for a commercial/industrial scale application I bet CircuitCo would be happy to make a custom BBB for you.

Sent from my Galaxy Note II with Tapatalk 4