43oh

Configuring DCAN1 on the BeagleBone Black

Yeah I think the MCP2515 has that too, the mailboxes & filters.  The whole CAN concept is fascinating to me, LIN sounds like it's more for the low-power stuff but I haven't looked at it yet.

Seems like CAN is the ultimate long-distance balanced/differential standard for hooking up projects & stuff imo (i.e. no reason to dive into RS-485 for projects unless you're interfacing with stuff already built on it like DMX512)... only downside is the power consumption is a bit higher but I don't think folks build CAN installations intending them to sip power from a CR2032 for years.  That and it only draws power through the termination resistors when the bus is being driven, I believe the bus sits at rest (hi-Z on all transceiver ports) when nobody is communicating.

• 2 years later...

Found this link for future reference (might be playing with it in the near future): http://www.aero-box.co.uk/beaglebone-black#TOC-CANbus

Good explanation of getting CAN working and even hooking it up to a car!

Also note DCAN0 conflicts with I2C(2), the I2C bus used to detect capes.

That link, for the specific project is dead. However, I've bookmarked the site and gave you thanks. As it seems to be chock full of interesting project. Revolving around the BBB from what I've seen so far.

Yeah I think the MCP2515 has that too, the mailboxes & filters.  The whole CAN concept is fascinating to me, LIN sounds like it's more for the low-power stuff but I haven't looked at it yet.

Seems like CAN is the ultimate long-distance balanced/differential standard for hooking up projects & stuff imo (i.e. no reason to dive into RS-485 for projects unless you're interfacing with stuff already built on it like DMX512)... only downside is the power consumption is a bit higher but I don't think folks build CAN installations intending them to sip power from a CR2032 for years.  That and it only draws power through the termination resistors when the bus is being driven, I believe the bus sits at rest (hi-Z on all transceiver ports) when nobody is communicating.

Ive found it really interesting that he BBB could easily be used as a CAN<->ethernet, or CAN<->USB "adapter". I've got tons of ideas running through my head most of the time when I think about the board. I also find CAN interesting on many levels, but I'm still a CAN novice in the grand scheme of things.

EDIT: And yeah I did not really mean to grave dig, but this is the first time I've noticed this post :/