43oh

ChipSee LCD Expansion Cape - 1024*600 + CAN + Audio

This popped up while google-fu-ing - BeagleBoneBlack Resistive LCD Expansion Cape.

Retails for $102.. pretty neat one.

chipsee_beaglebone_black_cape_lcd_bbb_usr_1.PNG

chipsee_beaglebone_black_cape_lcd_bbb_usr_back.PNG

chipsee_beaglebone_black_cape_lcd_bbb_usr_connection.PNG

Features:

1. Display: 7 Inch LCD,1024*600 Pixel;
2. Touch: Five Point Capacitive touch, Covered with Amorplate Glass (Or Reisistive 
Touch);
3. Audio: 1 Audio out,1 Mic In(Can change to Line in by change resistor);
4. RS232: 2 Channel;
5. RS485: 2 Channel;
6. CAN: 1 Channel;
7. Buzzer: 1;
8. User Key: 5 ;
9. User LED: 2;
10. Three-Axis Digital Accelerometer.

Looks like it just breaks out the CMOS level CAN I/O pins, so one still needs to provide the CAN transceiver (PHY).  Still, this looks like it would be a very compelling platform for replacing a car stereo, if the size lines up well enough with double-DIN...

CAN transceivers are not too hard.. so that can be fixed. I'll drop them an email and ask if they can give us a discount. Maybe I can sponsor one of you guys or pass it around. But price is seriously good.

CAN transceivers are not too hard.. so that can be fixed. I'll drop them an email and ask if they can give us a discount. Maybe I can sponsor one of you guys or pass it around. But price is seriously good.

Yeah, I think I have some $0.49 CAN transceivers (with built in level shifters) I order-stuffed in an avnet order a while back :)  Although I'm not sure if the voltage levels are the same... I think these NXP xcvrs I have need 5V input but I need to read up more on automotive CAN to see if I need a different chip.

edit: this has some neat info- http://marco.guardigli.it/2010/10/hacking-your-car.html

Looks like a 1V span on each line, with up to 2V separation at the extreme ends.  Gonna have to read more to see if this is OK with those NXP TJA-somethingorother xcvrs I have.

I'll say, I have been looking for an excuse to build a CAN network for tinkering purposes for a while.  Want to play.  I have some samples of Microchip's SPI CAN controller on the way too (MCP2515) to toy with on the MSP430 but CAN's one of those things ..... you kinda need at least 2 nodes to do anything useful ;-) (yeah I am totally thinking of designing a BoosterPack for that one BTW).

Those Renesas RX62N boards I have include CAN too and have a transceiver onboard along with termination resistor.  But I'd have to sit down and figure out their CAN peripheral first and write a driver (or bite the bullet and try out their RPDL, which only works correctly with their e2studio IDE environment, sort've like Grace and MSP430Ware).

edit: Totally made this my first blog entry ;)