cubeberg

BBB problems - possible OS recommendations?

fyi, I saw the definitive way to enable virtual capes on bootup from panto on IRC...

12:47 < vaizki_> now that I have a "virtual cape" DTO fragment in /lib/firmware, what's the right way to enable it at boot?
12:47 < vaizki_> just do a systemd service that echos to the slots?
12:47 < panto> vaizki_, capemgr.enable_partno=FOO
12:48 < vaizki_> iin sysctl.conf I presume
12:50 < panto> vaizki_, no, in the kernel command line you pass

So uEnv.txt needs to be modified and capemgr.enable_partno=<blahblah> added to the "optargs" line I think.  I am assuming you can specify that multiple times or have a comma-separated list of partno's but I don't know.

Like this?

root@beaglebone:~# pg /boot/uEnv.txt
optargs=run_hardware_tests quiet capemgr.enable_partno=spi0
(EOF):

I added it to the end, but it didn't seem to do anything after reboot.  Oddly enough - in the 6/20 release - it's back to bone_capemgr.8 instead of 9

I wrote a script to quickly enable spi0, but for some crazy reason it won't work in my script, but it will if I run from the command line

./spi.sh: line 4: /sys/devices/bone_capemgr.*/slots: No such file or directory

Here is a copy of my uEnv.txt

bootdelay=1
ipaddr=192.168.xxx.xxx
serverip=192.168.xxx.xxx
static_ip=192.168.xxx.xxx:192.168.xxx.xxx:192.168.xxx.xxx:255.255.255.0:arm
rootpath=/home/william/rootfs,rsize=32768,wsize=32768
console=ttyO0,9600n8
optargs=capemgr.disable_partno=BB-BONELT-HDMI,BB-BONELT-HDMIN
loadtftp=tftpboot 0x80200000 /boot/uImage; tftpboot 0x815f0000 /boot/am335x-boneblack.dtb
netargs=setenv bootargs console=${console} ${optargs} root=/dev/nfs nfsroot=${serverip}:${rootpath},vers=3 rw ip=${static_ip}
uenvcmd=setenv autoload no; run loadtftp; run netargs; bootm 0x80200000 - 0x815f0000

the key things to note here for the case of this discussion is:

optargs= . . .
And
${optargs}

$optargs are parameters passed by uboot to the kernel. Or if you prefer $optargs are command line kernel arguments.

So if we take a look at http://git.denx.de/?p=u-boot.git;a=blob;f=include/configs/am335x_evm.h;hb=HEAD#l57 and study the various boot options like mmcargs netargs, nandargs etc, you will note each boot options makes  a call to  or specifies ${optargs}. Anyway what this means is that while we can use more complex boot options with ${optargs } called, or specified from within them, technically we can just assign a value to $optargs, and "know" that those parameters will be passed to the kernel. Since it is a uboot system environment variable that is always called.

So next to know is that the firmware or compiled DT file must exist in the /lib/firmware/ path. So If I run say -> ls /lib/firmware/ I should get back a list of potential file I might be able to use. If what I need does not exist, I need to either find a suitable file from somewhere else, or compile one myself. Then in need to place the file in the path /lib/firmware/ .Now let us say I did find what I need in /lib/firmware in just  a quick example ( of the only dt file i have in here right now ) enable-uart5-00A0.dtbo

I can enable this manually from the command line by doing:

echo enable-uart5 > /sys/devices/bone_capemgr.*/slots

or I can load it via uboot with the following statement.
optargs=capemgr.enable_partno=enable-uart5

The file extension, and what i can only guess at is the version(00A0) is ignored.

Anyhow hopefully I covered that in full enough detail ?

Also for what its worth you technically should be able to run

echo enable-uart5 > /sys/devices/bone_capemgr.[0-9]/slots in place of using an asterisk. What this does is try to match anything after the period from 0 to 9. Single digit. ? would match any single character, and * will match anything after the period.

Maybe useful, maybe not ? *shrug*

Thanks - I'll check that out - I think the "echo" problem must be something with my cut+paste.  When I type it manually it works great, but  if I run the script right after it fails.  I appreciate all the help!