Sign in to follow this  
yyrkoon

MSP430 Launchpad v1.5 serial debug

Finally !! with some help from oPossum, gnomad, and Rick from IRC I was able to use the MSP430 v1.5 FET ( with MCU popped out ) to act as a TTL serial debug interface. WIll post some pictures, and how I did it tomorrow hopefully.

Here is some output from the debug screen.

[    0.516018] tps65217-bl tps65217-bl: no platform data provided
[    0.516063] tps65217-bl: probe of tps65217-bl failed with error -22
[    0.517057] Serial: 8250/16550 driver, 4 ports, IRQ sharing enabled
[    0.519658] omap_uart 44e09000.serial: did not get pins for uart0 error: -19
[    0.519990] 44e09000.serial: ttyO0 at MMIO 0x44e09000 (irq = 88) is a OMAP UART0
[    8.888087] console [ttyO0] enabled
[    8.930791] [sched_delayed] sched: RT throttling activated
[    8.999312] [drm] Initialized drm 1.1.0 20060810
[    9.069470] brd: module loaded
[    9.113798] loop: module loaded
[    9.155333] nbd: registered device at major 43
[    9.222145] at24 0-0050: 32768 byte 24c256 EEPROM, writable, 1 bytes/write
[    9.306531] at24 1-0054: 32768 byte 24c256 EEPROM, writable, 1 bytes/write
[    9.390867] at24 1-0055: 32768 byte 24c256 EEPROM, writable, 1 bytes/write
[    9.475226] at24 1-0056: 32768 byte 24c256 EEPROM, writable, 1 bytes/write
[    9.559562] at24 1-0057: 32768 byte 24c256 EEPROM, writable, 1 bytes/write
[   10.643489] omap_i2c 44e0b000.i2c: controller timed out
[   11.710084] omap_i2c 44e0b000.i2c: controller timed out
[   11.780083] bone-capemgr bone_capemgr.9: bone: scan failed (1 time)
[   13.358211] omap_i2c 44e0b000.i2c: controller timed out
[   14.424898] omap_i2c 44e0b000.i2c: controller timed out
[   14.494921] bone-capemgr bone_capemgr.9: bone: scan failed (2 time)
[   16.006965] bone-capemgr bone_capemgr.9: Baseboard: 'A335BNLT,0A5A,1613BBBK1091'

Pretty nifty I think especially considering it cost me nothing extra( Just my time needed to craft a header for the BBB plus soldering). Poor man's serial debug interface ;)

Yeah baud rate @ 9600, many kittens have been sacrificed in the service of science...

Just kidding, Solaris boxes all use 9600 for their serial console anyway!  I can't stand it though and prefer the FTDI route but kudos to rigging it up!

*** WARNING *** The following instructions are provided as is, and could damage both your MSP430 Launchpad, and Beaglebone black if done incorrectly. Perform these instructions at your own risk. If you have any doubt as to whether you should follow these instructions, don't. You have been warned.

Ok, so with the warning out of the way let us get down to business. I will be borrowing Rei Vilo's most excellent pin out image for the MSP430 Launchpad v1.5. Do note, that the actual picture is of an v1.1 Launchpad, but for the purpose of these instructions will work fine. Either way, I could have not done any better with an image myself, and I have tried. Images will be displayed at the bottom of this post for viewing

First thing we need to do is make sure we actually have a MSP430 Launchpad v1.5. The version number is marked just above the MCU 20 pin DIP socket. After you have made sure that you do in fact have the right version . . . Finally make sure both devices are unplugged and are not powered.

1) Take the MCU in the Launchpad that is in the 20pin DIP socket completely out.
2) Take a look at the image below, and notice how the white boxes are oriented on J3. The first two to the left should be horizontal as depicted by the white boxes. Leave the other three to the right vertical also as depicted.

Once that is done, the pins on the v1.5 Launchpad can be attached by either using female jumper ends( J1 for TXD/RXD. or J2 for GND)  jumper wire end, or a male jumper end inserted directly into the 20Pin DIP socket.

3) P1.1 on the Launchpad is RXD, this needs to be connected to TXD( Pin5 on J1 ) on the BBB.
4) P1.2 on the Launchpad is TXD. This needs to be connected to RXD(Pin4 on J1)  on the BBB.
5) Pin 20 on the Launchpad DIP socket is GND This needs to be connected to GND(Pin1 on J1 ) on the BBB. Note the dot for reference to Pin1 on J1.

Finally, the Launchpad BAUD rate is limited to 9600 BAUD. In order to communicate between the launchpad and the BBB we need to edit uEnv.txt on the BBB so uboot knows how fast to communicate. uEnv.txt should be located on the first partition of the boot media used.

On a BBB running Debian as root . . .

6)  nano /boot/uboot/uEnv.txt

7) Find the line that says -> console=ttyO0,115200n8 and change this to console=ttyO0,9600n8 then save the file

8) again from the BBB as root issue the command -> shutdown now -h

Now with the BBB powered down, disconnect it's power source, and leave it unplugged for the moment. From here, I will assume you know which tty device /COM port your launchpad is connected to. With the BBB, and Launchpad connected to one another as described above, power up the Launchpad first. Open your Serial device( for the launchpad ) with application of choice, then finally power up the BBB.

Serial connection settings:

Baud  9600

Bits 8
Parity N
Stop Bits 1
Handshake None

You should shortly see boot messages start to scroll by. Viola !

LaunchPad%20MSP430G2553-V1.5.jpg

beaglebone-black-serial.jpg

Post is unfinished, Need to add instructions on how to connect to the launchpad via windows, and Linux. Windows I know, Linux I do not. SO if someone who does know how to connect via Linux would be so kind as to help me out, I would be more than willing to add that to the post as well. Windows I will take care of later. I've spent a good bit of time on this post already, and need a break.

Post is unfinished, Need to add instructions on how to connect to the launchpad via windows, and Linux. Windows I know, Linux I do not. SO if someone who does know how to connect via Linux would be so kind as to help me out, I would be more than willing to add that to the post as well. Windows I will take care of later. I've spent a good bit of time on this post already, and need a break.

On linux, you can use minicom. To configure minicom, use

minicom -s

Well done post.

Best bet is for the user to just install Energia on their platform, that gets the serial drivers out of the way.  And it does have a serial monitor but it kinda sucks (pressing 'enter' when typing in stuff doesn't actually transmit a \n or \r\n IIRC, and probably the display output doesn't support the ANSI codes or VT100 terminal emulation stuff) so yeah, minicom under linux is the typical way to roll.

Well because of the work I did last night getting serial debugging working, I am now the proud owner of a "diskless" BBB. Technically, because I do not want to run yet another DHCP server on our network, I still need a SD card to run uboot, and the initial ram disk, but /root/ is completely located off system. I am very happy about that.

This took a lot of staring over other peoples uEnv.txt files, until the format made sense. Then reading of information all over the web, until I got close enough to ping RCN concerning documentation on the version of uboot used for the BBB. Which turns out, he linked me to a header file for this version of uboot, and BAM I got nfs booting, but fsck kept failing. Afterwards I did a little googling to see where the problem stemmed from, noticed a post about /etc/fstab settings for nfs booting, and voila, problem solved ! So while I gleaned a bit of information from many different sources, I largely feel like I did this on my own.

The really cool thing about this is that, once I figured everything out, I did a little creative thinking of my own, and figured out a way to do all of this based largely on existing instructions by RCN for the Debian install , with a few "minor" changes. To make things even easier. How cool is that ?! *excited*

Now the downer is: I have to learn how to use wordpress so I can blog on this . . . Oh well . . .