Sign in to follow this  
bluehash

Baud rate of Gadget Serial?

Got my BBB! Shiny. It's going blinky disco LED crazy

So I downloaded the drivers fr my win machine. A gadget serial appears in my device manager on my COM port. Does this port give you root access to the BBB or is it only through ssh? If serial, what is the baud rate?

Thanks!

Edit: Looks like it is 115200, but no luck getting a prompt.

I haven't tried it under windows but IIRC it just creates a USB network link which you SSH over. Wonder why it shows up as a COM port, maybe it is one... but there's no getty process listening. I know the Sitara/OMAP hardware UARTs are /dev/ttyOx, maybe check if there are any others under /dev/tty* ?

Besides tty1, 2, etc which are the GPU framebuffer consoles... and ttypX which are virtual PTYs...

Right, as spirilis says, Once you install the 4-5 drivers in  Windows, you should be able to use default putty ssh settings, by just changing the ip to 192.168.7.2. Once in as root / root you're pretty much set.

Just be careful which keys you press while the ssh session is on focus. CTRL + C is always a bad idea, to copy something select the text, and left click. Right click while in putty pastes the clipboard buffer into the console ( also be careful of line feeds here ).

I think all SSH clients are weird in how they interact  with the client machine( my own personal opinion ), but there is method to the madness I guess.

@@bluehash *poke* *prod* Well ? Any forward traction yet ?

When the USB network link comes up, the BBB's Angstrom install starts a DHCP server on usb0 which gives itself 192.168.7.2 and your PC gets 192.168.7.1 ... SSH into 192.168.7.2 user root / passwd root

Right, as spirilis says, Once you install the 4-5 drivers in  Windows, you should be able to use default putty ssh settings, by just changing the ip to 192.168.7.2. Once in as root / root you're pretty much set.

Just be careful which keys you press while the ssh session is on focus. CTRL + C is always a bad idea, to copy something select the text, and left click. Right click while in putty pastes the clipboard buffer into the console ( also be careful of line feeds here ).

I think all SSH clients are weird in how they interact  with the client machine( my own personal opinion ), but there is method to the madness I guess.

@@bluehash *poke* *prod* Well ? Any forward traction yet ?

Perfect.. I'm in guys. Sory for the delay. Just came back from dinner. You all are very quick.

root@beaglebone:~# uname -a

Linux beaglebone 3.8.11 #1 SMP Wed May 8 07:34:27 CEST 2013 armv7l GNU/Linux
root@beaglebone:~#