Sign in to follow this  
yyrkoon

iSCSI /home

So I had to recompile the kernel for iscsi but I finally got iSCSI /home up and running. For those wondering why . . . well it's fast, and im not wearing out the emmc or sd card im booting from. I will blog on this at some later point The point is though, to have a partition to drop files/apps onto to test various apps I write over time. Later it could be used for iSCSI /root, to help facilitate "burning" images to emmc.

login as: root
root@xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx's password:
Linux arm 3.8.13-bone20 #1 SMP Sun Jun 2 11:05:26 MST 2013 armv7l

The programs included with the Debian GNU/Linux system are free software;
the exact distribution terms for each program are described in the
individual files in /usr/share/doc/*/copyright.

Debian GNU/Linux comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY, to the extent
permitted by applicable law.
Last login: Wed Jun  5 05:30:57 2013 from xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
root@arm:~# df -h
Filesystem      Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
rootfs           15G  445M   14G   4% /
/dev/root        15G  445M   14G   4% /
devtmpfs        248M     0  248M   0% /dev
tmpfs            50M  236K   50M   1% /run
tmpfs           5.0M     0  5.0M   0% /run/lock
tmpfs           100M     0  100M   0% /run/shm
/dev/mmcblk0p1   64M  3.9M   61M   7% /boot/uboot
/dev/sda1       9.5G   22M  9.0G   1% /home
root@arm:~# mount
/dev/root on / type ext4 (rw,relatime,errors=remount-ro,data=ordered)
devtmpfs on /dev type devtmpfs (rw,relatime,size=253756k,nr_inodes=63439,mode=755)
tmpfs on /run type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,noexec,relatime,size=50780k,mode=755)
tmpfs on /run/lock type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,size=5120k)
proc on /proc type proc (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime)
sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime)
tmpfs on /run/shm type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,size=101560k)
devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,nosuid,noexec,relatime,gid=5,mode=620)
/dev/mmcblk0p1 on /boot/uboot type vfat (rw,relatime,fmask=0022,dmask=0022,codepage=437,iocharset=iso8859-1,shortname=mixed,errors=remount-ro)
/dev/sda1 on /home type ext4 (rw,relatime,data=ordered,_netdev)
root@arm:/home# sudo dd if=/dev/zero of=/home/test.img bs=1024k count=2000
2000+0 records in
2000+0 records out
2097152000 bytes (2.1 GB) copied, 181.397 s, 11.6 MB/s
root@arm:/home# sudo dd if=/home/test.img of=/dev/zero bs=1024k
2000+0 records in
2000+0 records out
2097152000 bytes (2.1 GB) copied, 179.779 s, 11.7 MB/s

For what it is worth, networked /home using NFS is around 10.4MB/s, so iscsi while more of a hassle to setup is about 10% faster. Also iscsi is roughly twice as fast as the uSD card I am using ( for writes ). At some point I would like to test the eMMC too, but only have ~75MB free space on it as 3.8.8 Angstrom is still loaded on it. Which at this point I do not really care much about. Keeping it on there for now though as a precaution.

Yeah what's funny is the Sitara supports Gig-E (and acting as a 2-port hub I think) but the BBB PHY is only 100Mbps obviously. Wonder how fast the Sitara could roll with a Gig PHY.

Based on experiences with all manner of networking block devices / file systems, I would imagine you would max a single drive far before maxing the Ethernet on it. I would also really like to see GbE on the bbb also, but aside from the physical port, I wonder how difficult it would be to swap out. Just from the tiny bit I know, it *seems* maybe swapping out the jack would do it ? Again I dont know a whole lots about it . . .

I can say however, that in the past when I did a bunch of testing, that GbE PXE booting was very nice. I could not even tell the difference between internal speed vs network block booting. Even with one crappy realtek GbE on board ethernet ( server had an Intel GbE pro card though ).

No the PHY chip would need replacement, and a suitable replacement probably wouldn't be pin-compatible with the one onboard so I don't see that being a doable mod. Hard to say about the jack though.

I wonder if one of the other (bigger/more expensive) BeagleBoards has it. If not one of TI's hideously expensive eval boards might.

Hmm i have not looked at the schematic regarding that. DOes it have a separate PHY on the board too ? Was my understanding that the AM3359 has on chip GbE. Not arguing, just confused.

No the PHY chip would need replacement, and a suitable replacement probably wouldn't be pin-compatible with the one onboard so I don't see that being a doable mod. Hard to say about the jack though.

I wonder if one of the other (bigger/more expensive) BeagleBoards has it. If not one of TI's hideously expensive eval boards might.

Actually rereading your post here. Yes TI does have a dual GbE Sitara dev kit. Cost is $200, although around 6-8 months ago ? they had a promo for these boards at $5 each. Someone i know from IRC got one . . .