Sign in to follow this  
bluehash

BeagleBone Black running CJDNS with optimized NaCl

cjdns is a networking protocol and reference implementation, founded on the ideology that networks should be easy to set up, protocols should scale up smoothly, and security should be ubiquitous.

----- Courtesy Hypergrundy @ reddit : http://www.reddit.com/r/hyperboria/comments/1flpty/how_to_get_your_beaglebone_black_running_cjdns/ ------

If you have a BeagleBone Black and have tried to run CJDNS on it (perhaps to use it as a low power, always on node for your home LAN, and/or as a gateway for a Windows box), then you probably noticed that it just doesn't have the horsepower to get the job done... or does it?

With proper optimization of the cryptographic functions that CJDNS uses, the BBB can in fact handle the job very well. Considering that the BBB is only $45, that's pretty damn awesome! Here's a quick overview of how to get it done:

First, get a real linux distro on your BBB. I suggest this one:http://elinux.org/BeagleBoardUbuntu#Raring_13.04_armhf[1]

Next, install compiler, git, cmake, etc. If you are using the Ubuntu image above, run this:

apt-get install build-essential cmake

Next, download and install my BBB optimized NaCl for CJDNS to use:

cd /opt
git clone git://github.com/HyperGrundy/nacl4bbb.git
cd nacl4bbb
./install.sh

Now download and build CJDNS in the normal fashion. Rather then building it's own NaCl, it should use the optimized NaCl that's already on the system, giving you a good 10x boost in throughput.

Hmm I never heard of that before either, will have to research/check it out.

EDIT:

Hmm since when is Ubuntu considered "a real OS" ? lol