Sign in to follow this  
spirilis

Project Idea: Badass Electric Drumset

I'd like to take this:

post-4-14264691097422_thumb.jpg

(sitting in the corner of my office with a bass guitar amp)

And turn it into a badass kit with a software synth sporting my own drum samples (recorded from my drumkit @ home which has rather nice Paiste cymbals).

Plan:

1. Yamaha DD-65 sports a MIDI-OUT and IN, however the MIDI OUT has a glitch whereby the hihat pedal is not properly recognized in the hihat pad strike messages.  Clean this up.

2. Produce synthesized output from a stock set of PCM samples.

3. Introduce timing-related modifications to the output instruments to provide a more realistic drumming experience.

Example 1: striking hihat pad within ~300ms of releasing hihat pedal produces a "sizzle" stroke sound instead of an open-hihat sound

Example 2: multiple strikes of the ride cymbal raise a secondary ride cymbal "wash" sound underneath the normal ping that gets progressively louder the more "energy" you inject

4. Investigate coverings for some of the pads to reduce the noise from the rubber pads themselves; oftentimes the sound of the drumstick tip hitting the rubber pad is louder than the synthesized instrument sound!  In conjunction with this, investigate pressure-sensitive sensors possibly polled via ADC to allow the kit to measure shock above the highest level currently supported by the "pressure-sensitive pads".

Example use: Very hard strike of the ride cymbal pad could signal the ride cymbal bell, or alternately simulate "crashing" the ride cymbal when you strike it on its edge rather than pinging on its body.

5. Offer external configuration--either a rotary encoder for selecting samples or a separate board with large rocker switches allowing configuration of various behaviors within the synthesizer (big enough to hit with the drumstick on the fly if needed).  Probably some kind of ribbon cable on the cape connecting these switches to GPIO pins.

Offer external configuration--either a rotary encoder for selecting samples or a separate board with large rocker switches allowing configuration of various behaviors within the synthesizer (big enough to hit with the drumstick on the fly if needed).  Probably some kind of ribbon cable on the cape connecting these switches to GPIO pins.

Will pedals work?

Offer external configuration--either a rotary encoder for selecting samples or a separate board with large rocker switches allowing configuration of various behaviors within the synthesizer (big enough to hit with the drumstick on the fly if needed).  Probably some kind of ribbon cable on the cape connecting these switches to GPIO pins.

Will pedals work?

They probably would, problem is I'll have pedals already on the floor... could get touchy if I accidentally hit one of the config pedals when reaching for the hihat or bass drum pedal :D

I generally keep my pedal setup uncluttered for my own sake so probably not... The switches are an optional thing anyway, there's nothing wrong with having a laptop nearby to enter a few commands or something :D

(just would make things easier for a live demo)