Sign in to follow this  
yyrkoon

BBB Detour -> Debian

I've decided to take a detour of working on building a custom Angstrom console image, and am currently trying to get Debian working on the black.

Without a way to connect serially it is turning out to be a much larger pain in the backside than I've anticipated. I spent all day yesterday when I was not doing other things around the house here. Downloading  and compiling several things like uboot, kernel from source etc. It failed . . . despite many people seemingly getting it to work.

Perhaps the image is booting (again I can not be sure without a serial connection ) but if it is, usb0 and eth0 are both failing to configure properly. eth0 is set to dhcp, while usb0 is set static like how it is done with Angstrom.

After talking with Robert C Nelson, the person behind the instructions, I am left unsure if usb0 actually has a kernel module compiled in or not. But apparently all the images he works on, have ssh built in.

So yeah now I'm starting over fresh, to see if somehow I can get something working. We'll see.

Finally some success.

login as: root
root@SANITIZED password:
Linux arm 3.8.13-bone18 #1 SMP Wed May 15 13:48:09 MST 2013 armv7l

The programs included with the Debian GNU/Linux system are free software;
the exact distribution terms for each program are described in the
individual files in /usr/share/doc/*/copyright.

Debian GNU/Linux comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY, to the extent
permitted by applicable law.
root@arm:~# uname -a
Linux arm 3.8.13-bone18 #1 SMP Wed May 15 13:48:09 MST 2013 armv7l GNU/Linux
root@arm:~# blkid
/dev/mmcblk0p1: SEC_TYPE="msdos" LABEL="boot" UUID="329B-73EA" TYPE="vfat"
/dev/mmcblk0p2: LABEL="rootfs" UUID="cd36809d-1f8b-491c-a3a8-ce322f857ecc" TYPE="ext4"
/dev/mmcblk1p1: LABEL="BEAGLEBONE" UUID="5147-0BEE" TYPE="vfat"
/dev/mmcblk1p2: LABEL="Angstrom" UUID="ded34392-3812-4b8d-ab38-342da9a4b0d8" TYPE="ext4"
root@arm:~# df -h /
Filesystem      Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/root       3.6G  374M  3.0G  11% /

Now, to see what I can do to clean things up some, and what all I can do with it. Instructions I followed are here:

BeagleBone Black

@@spirilis Do you have any Linux from scratch experience ? Reason why I am asking is that I do have a decent bit of linux experience, although I am rusty. Used to build my own kernels several years ago. But I am finding it hard to figure out where I need to look for more information. Anyone can copy paste commands, which is what I have pretty much done with this.

I thought about reading through some of the scripts Robert Nelson wrote for this demo image of his, but am not sure what I would take away from that.