Sign in to follow this  
32614_1489253935

encoder interface

Hi everyone,

I have a motor, its encoder's output 5VDC, I want to convert it to 3v3 VDC to interface with MCU.

and I know that schmitt trigger will help eliminate noises of encoder, so I want to design a board have both functions above.

Please give me the way to do this.

Thanks everyone!

I don't think a schmitt trigger is that much necessary for this case, i usually use that just for buttons.

As for converting 5V to 3.3V, the easiest way is use a voltage divider with 2 resistors. Though the encoder output should be digital, and the TM4C123GH6PM is 5V tolerant in most pins, in that case it's not necessary the conversion

So what is the best way to convert 5v to 3v3 for reading encoder purpose ? I want to read encoder exactly as possible at 3v3. Can I find a IC which can convert 5v analog to 3v3 analog?

Please give me some solution!

Thanks in advanced!

As i said, the TM4C123G launchpad tolerates 5V input voltages.

If you still need to convert:

• Just use a voltage divider

https://www.abelectronics.co.uk/docs/tools/resistor/voltage-divider.gif

It's simple. Just remember to take current into account, not to little nor too much. This basically turns a scale of 0V-5V to a scale 0V-3.3V

All of this can easily be found in google images by just typing "5V to 3.3V"

The encoder outputs a PWM signal. Just that. You should not have problems with any of the methods if applied correctly. Ex: if the enconder outputs a high frequency you can't use resistors to big like 1M which would mean a really low current, but try to keep about 2mA max input into you MCU pins