Mohan

CC3200 - No hardware Quadratic Encoder Interface?

The Tiva Launchpads have a hardware Quadratic Encoder Interface  peripheral.  The documents on CC3200 doesn't seem to depict it. I had the wrong impression that CC3200 has the same kind of peripherals as Tiva in addition to the WiFI feature set.

Can any one confirm if indeed hardware QEI peripheral is not available in CC3200? 

It really doesn't seem to have it. It's not exactly the TM4C in terms of peripherals, there's something missing since it didn't seem necessary for their needs and they probably wanted to keep the price a bit down

I had the wrong impression that CC3200 has the same kind of peripherals as Tiva in addition to the WiFI feature set.

The CC3200 doesn't seem to be particularly compatible with Tiva in terms of peripherals.  Some of them seem pretty similar, some of them rather different (e.g. GPIO).  Certainly the driver libraries are quite different.  So I generally assume they are going to be different, unless proven otherwise in a particular case.

You could look at the CC3200 timers, see if they can do what you want in terms of QEI.

Thanks Igor. I have done QEI decoding with software using 2 pins and interrupts. I really wanted to try out the hardware encoder. May its an opportunity to understand how its implemented with Tiva and see if it can be replicated in CC3200.  

Heh the CC3200 is an odd one to me. It's a jack of a few trades master of none type of chip, but with a healthy amount of grunt in its CPU. I guess that helps it perform like a champ with Internet-connected applications but it leaves much to be desired for embedded applications IMO.