43oh

Arrow flight logger

Hello fellow MSP430ers (is that the correct term),

I've been using MSP430 chips for a couple months now, but this is my first time on this forum.

Formalities aside, I have been working on a project to log flight pattens of arrows.

I call it the arrowLog, it consists of 3 ICs : MSP430f2013, MMA7455, and a 25DF041a. As of right now I haven't written much software for it (made it blink some leds :D ) My hope is that I'll be able to use the MSP430 to read Acceleration data from the MMA7455 and store it in the dataflash IC. then later read out the results to a computer via a timer based UART.

I included buttons and leds onto the design if I wanted to add fancy features, like starting/stopping datalogging.

Here is some pictures of the prototype I have built.

5633259742_dce43afb5c_m.jpg5753744277_2b13449364_m.jpg

As of now I wont release the schematics unless anyone really wants them, once I've finished some more code I'll make a complete source/schematic package. along with a video.

what does one actually do with arrow flight data?

I don't know exactly. make some pretty graphs :lol:

Are you an archer. You may have created a new niche product.

Is that pcb from dorkbot? looks purple.

Yes I shoot a compound bow at a local club. and yes again the PCB was from dorkbot, laen does an excellent job.

• 2 years later...

hi,

I don't know exactly. make some pretty graphs :lol:

Yes I shoot a compound bow at a local club. and yes again the PCB was from dorkbot, laen does an excellent job.

just wow.

what is the width of the pcb? I guess you are using simple aluminium arrows, because I don't think anything would fit inside something like Easton ACC/ACE/X10 ones.

also what has happened to this project in the last 2 years? any graphs you could share?

I would really love to see more details about this project. is it on github/sourceforge someplace?

@@greeeg Old post, but first time I saw it.  I noticed you've modded your keyboard to Dvorak.  That's almost as cool to me as the arrows.

On a related note, I got some contact a few months ago from a hunter looking to embed radio trackers into the shafts of his arrows.  Needless to say, that's not an easy task -- definitely would require bare die bonding and a custom, little ceramic board.