43oh

LaunchPad Programming Competition Game

I had an idea today, to make a competitive game out of the LaunchPad. The basic idea is CoreWars with a physical layer such as the LaunchPad.

I have outlined the basic idea at my blog: http://blog.suspended-chord.info/?c=14

I welcome any comments or questions, and would like to ask for help from those who would like to see this become a reality. I think this could be really cool.

Any thoughts?

Thanks, that's the kind of response I like :D

The thing is, I'm really busy the next few years, as I am working on an honors thesis for my degree. So, my work on this, and MSPhere, and all my other programming projects, will suffer as a result. That is, unless I get help from others. So, yeah, your help, wherever it might be, would be greatly appreciated :D

I would be writing the client software, the server software, and the protocol document, as well as a small chunk of validation code for the firmware. And you better believe I'll have 2 or 3 bots competing myself. So yeah, I'd be writing everything, nothing's available yet. But the client software should be the easiest to write, it would basically take serial output and send it to the server.

Like I said, though, if anyone wants to help, it would be greatly appreciated :)

Thanks for the replies, guys.

That's pretty cool. I would submit code if ever there was a road map and a SVN. I think I might have fun making a client. we should probably use the debugger interface of the launch pad rather than serial port. that way we can emulate sensors (maybe if we can change the value of the IN register) we could also Have every bot execute at designated speed or some thing have them start at the same time and read their output ect... Also it would reassure that you are running a lauch pad and the code can be compiled by the client too

Also, Instead of having obfuscated code you could have the client encrypt a string (key added to the code of the launchpad) with a key sent by the server at the time of the competition (like a public key) and then the server tries to decrypt it and then match the strings that way the code can be well documented and you don't rely on the client for authentication

As for SVN, I prefer git, so if this ever amounts to anything, I'll be using git. At the moment, though, this is just a pie-in-the-sky idea, as I have classes right now.

The debugger is a cool idea, but that requires that everyone participating is using a Windows platform. I want this to be open.

The obfusticated code part with the client and such is simply to ensure that the code submitted to the administrator is the same code that is on the board, and that no "illegal" modifications have been done to it. However, you did bring up a good point... what if they authenticated the software correctly and then decided to spoof packets to the server?

However, I really think that all of this stuff can be avoided anyway... the LaunchPad community seems pretty trustworthy. I just wanted to try my hand in some encryption coding.

Thanks for the advice and feedback, and also the comments on my blog! Might I inquire as to how you found it? I'm looking to find where I'm being advertised and such.

Git SVN ect... I just meant on a public server. If the code was on a source forge or google code, I would be more encouraged to checking some changes. That ways if you get too busy or loose interest, other developers can continue the project.

As for the debugger, I believe there is a driver for the debugger for Linux. I have not tried it yet but these things seem kinda standard... we could use the JTAG interface too and make our own drivers. Just a thought.

As for your website, I found it with google. It was the 4th hit when searching for launch pad VCC 3.3v

Yeah, yeah. I know what you mean now :)

I envisioned the LP sending a stream of commands over serial to the client. Having the LaunchPads work in unison isn't really an issue, as all the processing of the events happens on the server. It will simply collect commands from each (in a buffer), and execute them in order of speed (ex, 4800baud vs 1200baud: 4.8k and 1.2k act in unison, then 3 actions from the 4.8k, then again they act in unison, etc.).

And I didn't know I was on google, though I tried it and it's actually a link through here. But thanks for letting me know!

Yeah, yeah. I know what you mean now :)

And I didn't know I was on google, though I tried it and it's actually a link through here. But thanks for letting me know!

Nope it was a direct link to your web site.

http://www.google.com/search?ie=UTF-8&o ... d+VCC+3.3v

I just thought It could be interesting to take advantage of some of the interrupts P1 interrupts (i don;t know if its possible). I am just brain storming :P