Sign in to follow this  
nuclearrambo

Health monitoring system [work in progress]

I had been working on a compact health monitoring system which would have ECG, body temperature sensor, glucometer, and a pulse oximeter all put on one single PCB.

So far I was successfully able to have ECG, temperature and the glucometer working.

Having this was not sufficient, I wanted to send all this data onto an android phone. For this I used HC-06 bluetooth module and had an android app running on the phone to collect and display the data on to its screen. 

I made use of Amarino's library for communication between Arduino and Android. It was pretty easy to port Amarino from Android to Stellaris and it worked very well! 

I used Stellaris Launchpad in my project considering that I would be implementing signal processing in future and also it is quite inexpensive :D

aff5ee451ecd7e8fd91ac2bee752a427.png

This is my entire unit fit in one box. I plan to having the processor on the same board and eliminating the use of bulky launchpad. Can anyone tell me how I could do that? I have never done such a thing before. 

DSCN8609-1024x768.jpg

Just showing off some photographs :P

DSCN8608-1024x768.jpg

The step up converter that I used to power up all the circuits in that box. Takes 3.5 to 4V from Li-ion battery (NOKIA) and converts it to 5.1V. Pretty cheap module I found on some chinese website. 

Screenshot_2014-05-04-15-53-41.png

This is my android app showing my ECG. I can enter my name in the text box and upload the ECG onto the online website. 

Note: I used Amarino's example SensorGraph and modified it to add the uploading functionality. 

You can view the database here : http://projectarogya.com/arogya/patients.php

ad968d13c78c380374d73461099412bc.png

This is how my ECG looks online. The php script also does the task of calculating heart rate and putting a time stamp at the time of upload. 

I am using a simple LM35 temperature sensor. I had to build seperate app for temparature and glucometer.

Screenshot_2014-05-07-10-18-35.png

Note: I used Multicolorlamp app from Amarino's website and modified it. Now it is so much modified that its like a completely new app except that the name is still unchanged :P

I have also uploaded a more detailed blog post on http://nuclearrambo.com/wordpress/android-based-wireless-ecg-monitoring-temperature-sensor-glucometer-included/

Because of some problem with ground, I am not able to get a clean output. It fluctuates a lot and hence does not give correct glucose readings. 

I will add in the explanation about how glucometer works if you people want to hear about it. 

PS: I had only been reading on this forum. This is my first post here and I thought I would share my project with you all. 

I am also hoping to produce and sell it once its complete. If anyone's interested in lending a helping hand with design and stuff are totally welcome :D

@@nuclearrambo

I had been working on a compact health monitoring system which would have ECG, body temperature sensor, glucometer, and a pulse oximeter all put on one single PCB.

So far I was successfully able to have ECG, temperature and the glucometer working.

Note: I used Multicolorlamp app from Amarino's website and modified it. Now it is so much modified that its like a completely new app except that the name is still unchanged :P

I have also uploaded a more detailed blog post on http://nuclearrambo.com/wordpress/android-based-wireless-ecg-monitoring-temperature-sensor-glucometer-included/

Because of some problem with ground, I am not able to get a clean output. It fluctuates a lot and hence does not give correct glucose readings. 

I will add in the explanation about how glucometer works if you people want to hear about it. 

PS: I had only been reading on this forum. This is my first post here and I thought I would share my project with you all. 

I am also hoping to produce and sell it once its complete. If anyone's interested in lending a helping hand with design and stuff are totally welcome :D

Well written!

What ECG sensor are you using?

If you are trying to get away from the Launchpad, you could always make your own PCB with eagle using the schematics and PCB files from TI as inspiration.

Keep updating us as you go.

Edit: Welcome to Stellarisiti!

@@nuclearrambo

Well written!

What ECG sensor are you using?

If you are trying to get away from the Launchpad, you could always make your own PCB with eagle using the schematics and PCB files from TI as inspiration.

Keep updating us as you go.

Edit: Welcome to Stellarisiti!

I am using one time use ECG electrodes for picking up electrical signals generated by heart. 

I was wondering how do I program the chip on the custom made board that I would be making? 

Amazing project! The short answer is you either break out the LaunchPad's programming headers (not sure if you have to cut any traces or desolder resistors to program external chips) or run something like Black Magic Probe on your launchpad and hook its I/O pins to the Serial Wire Debug pins on your target. See @@xpg 's port of BMP to the stellaris launchpad here: http://forum.stellarisiti.com/topic/637-black-magic-probe-for-stellaris-launchpad/

Awesome clear ECG curve. Have you done any filtering ? I'd go for standard values for speed and voltage. For speed 25 and 50 mm/sec are most common, for the voltage there are 2.5, 5, 10, 20 and 40 mm/mV. The Q tip is usually 0.6mV for healthy people.

Next up: 12 channel ECG ?

Stephan

Amazing project! The short answer is you either break out the LaunchPad's programming headers (not sure if you have to cut any traces or desolder resistors to program external chips) or run something like Black Magic Probe on your launchpad and hook its I/O pins to the Serial Wire Debug pins on your target. See @@xpg 's port of BMP to the stellaris launchpad here: http://forum.stellarisiti.com/topic/637-black-magic-probe-for-stellaris-launchpad/

I will take a look into it. Its going to be trial and error I guess. Long way to go. 

Awesome clear ECG curve. Have you done any filtering ? I'd go for standard values for speed and voltage. For speed 25 and 50 mm/sec are most common, for the voltage there are 2.5, 5, 10, 20 and 40 mm/mV. The Q tip is usually 0.6mV for healthy people.

Next up: 12 channel ECG ?

Stephan

thanks. All the filtering is done on the circuit. No digital processing done here. 

I am thinking of getting hands on ADS1298 AFE chip for 12 lead. But thats not anytime soon. 

My focus is more on pulse oximeter now. Its been a huge challenge and I still havent got it right.