igor

GDB with stellaris LP under windows?

Can I use gdb to debug programs on the Stellaris (or Tiva) Launchpad under Windows?

If so, where do I find the instructions on how to set it up?

I find lots of things for using gdb under Linux, or even under cygwin, but somehow I am missing the bit about how to use gdb with the launchpad under windows.

(I have used CCS for debugging, but dealing with a larger project here with its own build system would be a bit of a bother to

try to convert it to CCS, and the problem might even be gcc specific.)

Figure I am probably either missing the obvious, or trying to do something that can't be done, but don't know which.

Thanks

Edit: Some other freely available debugger would be okay also (just as long as works with gcc).

HI,

How do you intend to use the gdb? aka you are a command line user or need to use windows/graphical environment to debug? 

Also what you tried and wasn't OK?

I can post for you several links to read - but almost all are for Eclipse configuration + OpenOCD ( this is what I am using on Win and OSX) if this is OK for you - I would like to know first.

L

Command line was what I had in mind.

So OpenOCD now works on windows?  (The things I read said it didn't, so I didn't go checking at OpenOCD project pages.)

Eclipse would be okay (at least would be a starting place).

Hi,

You may start by downloading OpenOCD for Windows from here (use binary package since the compilation on Windows is difficult):

Note the last version, 0.7.0, is working for TM4C123x/LM4Fxxx micros - has all modifications needed.

The trick to make it working with Win systems is to instruct the device manager in Windows to ignore all USB connection of this board, since OpenOCD uses it own USB library.

How to install and use it from command line is best described in this page:
http://processors.wiki.ti.com/index.php/Stellaris_Launchpad_with_OpenOCD_and_Linux - ignore the Linux stuff and use only the rest of the info, with one mention: still this page is largely outdated -  do not apply patches from Zylin since these are already included into the latest release.

If you like to set up your Eclipse toolchain, then this link is the best, although it may refer to other tools also (contains also a lot of tricks for Eclipse):
This is the tenth episode from a series about installing and using Eclipse - and apply for all operating systems. I provided you the last episode since this contain links for other previous nine ones.

Last, one more plugin - needed to define the processor registers by name and to easily inspect them

Embedded Registers View:

- from here: http://sourceforge.net/projects/embsysregview/ to be downloaded as local package or 

- from here: http://embsysregview.sourceforge.net/update    to be installed from Eclipse. 

Also from embsysregview.sourceforge.net - go to Install menu and then click "Configuration" to find out how to configure this plug-in.

If any problem - just ask.

Good luck!

L