43oh

Ripped off debug USB port, solutions?

Unfortunately  right after I just bought my ARM M4 Launchpad, I managed to render it unusable for myself by  tearing off the debug usb connector.

It also looks like I may have ripped off one of the copper  pads on the  board. I'm thinking about resoldering, but I'm not confident in my SMT soldering skills at that scale. I saw a thread earlier made by someone else who managed to do the same thing, but it looks like he didn't manage to get a solution or replacement connector on the board either. 

I was wondering if anyone had any ideas, such as places it would be easier to solder a replacement to, or perhaps if I'm just out of luck and will just have to replace the entire board. 

The micro USB's ID pin has no electronic function, check which pin was ripped off. 

The other four pins (VG, D-,D+, G) are required and there are two big GND pins for keeping the connector mechanically.

I have teared off twice my Stellaris LP debug USB connector, fortunately without any pad being damaged. I could resolder it carefully with

a soldering iron, some desoldering copper and some flux, despite I'm not really good with hands. I took photos using my camera with macro zoom for positioning the connector well and for checking my soldering before i connected the repaired board to the PC.

The micro USB's ID pin has no electronic function, check which pin was ripped off. 

The other four pins (VG, D-,D+, G) are required and there are two big GND pins for keeping the connector mechanically.

I have teared off twice my Stellaris LP debug USB connector, fortunately without any pad being damaged. I could resolder it carefully with

a soldering iron, some desoldering copper and some flux, despite I'm not really good with hands. I took photos using my camera with macro zoom for positioning the connector well and for checking my soldering before i connected the repaired board to the PC.

Looking at the board, it does look like there's no copper trace coming from that pad.   I can't get a good focus on it from my camera, so the best I can do is explain that it's the pad that is one away tfrom the furthest on the left.

If there is no other possibility, you can take one USB cable, cut it on one side, and soldier wires directly to board. Of course, cable on board side must be somehow mechanically fixed to board (not only by soldiered wires). It's not very practically solution, but it will work for sure.