Sign in to follow this  
The_YongGrand

Energia for Stellaris/Tiva series - Floating point support?

Hello there,

As I can't get the CCS compiler working, I may temporarily use the Energia. However, I can't find anything about the floating point support in Energia. I need these because part of the work I'm doing requires floating point, and because since there's the FPU inside the processor, might as well as not waste it at all. How do I know if the FPU is enabled or not in Energia? And is Energia using the GCC as compiler and CMSIS modules for its libraries?

Thanks.

It's enabled. The GCC compiler options Energia has baked inside include specifying hardware FPU mode for floating point stuff. To verify this, closely inspect the compiler messages printed in the console at the bottom of the screen during Verify or Upload.

Thanks for the prompt reply. I don't mind the single precision FP, as long as I don't have to worry about slowing the system down when I have to calculate FP.

I'll keep referring and learning about the Energia platform as I need to quick prototype my project to replace the dsPIC. 

Btw, Happy Christmas! :)

The toolchain (and support libraries) in Energia indeed supports the FPU as@@spirilis mentioned. The toolchain used in Energia is 4.7-2013-q1-update release from the 4.7 series released 2013-03-29 from https://launchpad.net/gcc-arm-embedded.

Roberts-MacBook-Pro:bin robertinant$ ./arm-none-eabi-gcc -v
Using built-in specs.
COLLECT_GCC=./arm-none-eabi-gcc
COLLECT_LTO_WRAPPER=/Applications/Energia.app/Contents/Resources/Java/hardware/tools/lm4f/bin/../lib/gcc/arm-none-eabi/4.7.3/lto-wrapper
Target: arm-none-eabi
Configured with: /Users/build/macbuild/gcc-arm-none-eabi-4_7-2013q1-20130313/src/gcc/configure --target=arm-none-eabi --prefix=/Users/build/macbuild/gcc-arm-none-eabi-4_7-2013q1-20130313/install-native --libexecdir=/Users/build/macbuild/gcc-arm-none-eabi-4_7-2013q1-20130313/install-native/lib --infodir=/Users/build/macbuild/gcc-arm-none-eabi-4_7-2013q1-20130313/install-native/share/doc/gcc-arm-none-eabi/info --mandir=/Users/build/macbuild/gcc-arm-none-eabi-4_7-2013q1-20130313/install-native/share/doc/gcc-arm-none-eabi/man --htmldir=/Users/build/macbuild/gcc-arm-none-eabi-4_7-2013q1-20130313/install-native/share/doc/gcc-arm-none-eabi/html --pdfdir=/Users/build/macbuild/gcc-arm-none-eabi-4_7-2013q1-20130313/install-native/share/doc/gcc-arm-none-eabi/pdf --enable-languages=c,c++ --disable-decimal-float --disable-libffi --disable-libgomp --disable-libmudflap --disable-libquadmath --disable-libssp --disable-libstdcxx-pch --disable-nls --disable-shared --disable-threads --disable-tls --with-gnu-as --with-gnu-ld --with-newlib --with-headers=yes --with-python-dir=share/gcc-arm-none-eabi --with-sysroot=/Users/build/macbuild/gcc-arm-none-eabi-4_7-2013q1-20130313/install-native/arm-none-eabi --build=x86_64-apple-darwin10 --host=x86_64-apple-darwin10 --with-gmp=/Users/build/macbuild/gcc-arm-none-eabi-4_7-2013q1-20130313/build-native/host-libs/usr --with-mpfr=/Users/build/macbuild/gcc-arm-none-eabi-4_7-2013q1-20130313/build-native/host-libs/usr --with-mpc=/Users/build/macbuild/gcc-arm-none-eabi-4_7-2013q1-20130313/build-native/host-libs/usr --with-ppl=/Users/build/macbuild/gcc-arm-none-eabi-4_7-2013q1-20130313/build-native/host-libs/usr --with-cloog=/Users/build/macbuild/gcc-arm-none-eabi-4_7-2013q1-20130313/build-native/host-libs/usr --with-libelf=/Users/build/macbuild/gcc-arm-none-eabi-4_7-2013q1-20130313/build-native/host-libs/usr --with-host-libstdcxx='-static-libgcc -Wl,-lstdc++ -lm' --with-pkgversion='GNU Tools for ARM Embedded Processors' --with-multilib-list=armv6-m,armv7-m,armv7e-m,armv7-r
Thread model: single
gcc version 4.7.3 20130312 (release) [ARM/embedded-4_7-branch revision 196615] (GNU Tools for ARM Embedded Processors)