Sign in to follow this  
gonya707

AD9850 Library (DDS function generator)

Hi there. First of all I'm not sure if I should post this here or inside another section fo the forum, apologies if I made a mistake.

WBJqMjS.jpg

Probably some of you already know this IC, the AD9850. Its a sine and square wave generator with output frequencies between 0Hz and...more than 60MHz! Due to its very low price (around $5 on eBay) and usefulness, it is definitively a module everybody should have if you can't afford a function generator. This library comes with several functions you might find useful:

/* Starts AD9850 operation changing its value to "all zeros".
 * Refreshes previous status from the microcontroller.*/
void AD9850_Init(void);

/* Reset operation for the AD9850. This function must be called before using AD9850_Osc
 * first time in the execution (check page 12 on datasheet)  */
void AD9850_Reset(void);

/* Sets the DDS sine and square oscillator to the detailed "frequency" and "phase" variables.
 * "frequency" will be turned into a 32 bit word, so the frequency will have a resolution of 0.0291 Hz
 * with a 125 MHz reference clock. "phase" will be a 5 bit word instead so the resolution is
 * 11.5 degrees, or pi/32 radians. */
void AD9850_Osc(double frequency, double phase);

/* Enables power down mode. This method is used for a quick "all outputs" disable.
 * The effect is the same as AD9850_Osc(0,0), but it takes less clock cycles */
void AD9850_PowerDown(void);

/* Performs a frequency sweep increased in "inc"Hz steps. The frequency order is from low to high
 * and resets to the lower frequency when maximum frequency is reached. */

void AD9850_Sweep_Up(double minFreq, double maxFreq, double inc, int cyclesPerDelay);

/* Performs a frequency sweep decreased in "inc"Hz steps. The frequency order is from high to low
 * and resets to the higher frequency when minimum frequency is reached. */

void AD9850_Sweep_Down(double minFreq, double maxFreq, double inc, int cyclesPerDelay);

/* Performs a frequency sweep increased in "inc"Hz steps. The frequency order is from low to high,
 * but it changes to from high to low when the maximum frequency is reached and so on. */
void AD9850_Sweep_Loop(double minFreq, double maxFreq, double inc, int cyclesPerDelay);

Inside your main code you only need to include the library and init the module:

//AD9850 config
SysCtlPeripheralEnable(PORT_ENABLE);
GPIOPinTypeGPIOOutput(PORT, W_CLK|FQ_UD|DATA|RESET);
AD9850_Init();
AD9850_Reset();

//frequency = 10000Hz, phase = 0 rad
AD9850_Osc(10000, 0);

And that's it. You can download the codes attached to this post. I hope you find them useful.

STELLARIS_AD9850.c

STELLARIS_AD9850.h