Hi!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fRy08v7WnbQ

This is a CAN Booster we developed for our electrical Formula Student Racing Car.

It features:

-Microchip MCP2551 CAN Transceiver up to 1Mbit/s

-switched power supply 12V -> 5V up to 1A for external supply, but can also be supplied via Launchpad

-LED indicators for RX, TX and 5V Power

The power supply and the LED indicators are not neccesary for function.

Also optional is a Microchip MCP25055 standalone CAN-Module, so this board could also be used without the Launchpad.

Let me know which additional features you wish for a small CAN Booster Pack. After that we redesign the board, produce the boards and offer them for you.

Bye!

Moritz

FYI- Been making headway with my updated CAN BoosterPack, got a pair of MSP430's talking with it using the Microchip MCP2515 SPI CAN Controller.  At least now I've vetted out the transceiver hardware & power delivery chips as working correctly.  Should work fine with the Tiva-C and Hercules.

Waiting until the new year (budget-wise) to order more parts to build out the rest of these & sell them.  Probably using the 43oh store for this.

My progress is being documented over at 43oh - http://forum.43oh.com/topic/4202-can-boosterpack/

FYI- Been making headway with my updated CAN BoosterPack, got a pair of MSP430's talking with it using the Microchip MCP2515 SPI CAN Controller.  At least now I've vetted out the transceiver hardware & power delivery chips as working correctly.  Should work fine with the Tiva-C and Hercules.

Waiting until the new year (budget-wise) to order more parts to build out the rest of these & sell them.  Probably using the 43oh store for this.

My progress is being documented over at 43oh - http://forum.43oh.com/topic/4202-can-boosterpack/

@@spirilis You can PM/email me the parts price. Would probably be able to sponsor you, so you can get a headstart. No one has been taking advantage of the $10/month booster sponsorship. I have alot of months saved up.

That's a nice project, spirilis!

It's good to see that you could get the MSP430 connected to CAN via the MCP2515! Does the MCP2515 all the CAN Error handling (error counters, error bus off state) on its own?

We aim only for the Stellaris/Tiva-Launchpad because of the built in CAN module, easy programming, API is well documented. MSP430 is no option for us at the moment.

Our application is a Formula student electric racing car - two high power permanent magnet motors (100kW peak each B) , total power is limited to 85kW by the Formula Student rules) with Stellaris Launchpads everywhere (battery management system master controller, Sensor-to-CAN-boosters, Gyro-booster,...).

Unbenannt.PNG

Greetings from Germany!

Moritz

That's a nice project, spirilis!

It's good to see that you could get the MSP430 connected to CAN via the MCP2515! Does the MCP2515 all the CAN Error handling (error counters, error bus off state) on its own?

We aim only for the Stellaris/Tiva-Launchpad because of the built in CAN module, easy programming, API is well documented. MSP430 is no option for us at the moment.

Our application is a Formula student electric racing car - two high power permanent magnet motors (100kW peak each B) , total power is limited to 85kW by the Formula Student rules) with Stellaris Launchpads everywhere (battery management system master controller, Sensor-to-CAN-boosters, Gyro-booster,...).

Unbenannt.PNG

Greetings from Germany!

Moritz

Yep the MCP2515 handles all that itself, with the host microcontroller receiving and responding to those events with the IRQ line and the SPI communication.  The boosterpack project doesn't require the MCP2515 though, so you can use it with LaunchPad MCUs sporting native CAN interfaces too.  I am going to sell the boosterpack through @@bluehash 's store as a kit that's mostly soldered, but with the MCP2515+crystal loose in the antistatic bag in case you don't need them.

Looks like your boosterpack uses a simple 1x4 header type of connector, mine uses some RJ45-CAN standard I found so it's simple to run long wiring runs (e.g. inside or outside of a house or car) :D  With a 5V rail available on the cable the boosterpack can be chained with other low-power MCUs into a sensor network of sorts.

Yeah it's beast. B)  Top speed will not be that high, it's not required in the formula student contests. Top speed is 130km/h (80mph).

Acceleration is what this car is made for: 0-100km/h (0-60mph) in under 4 seconds.

Engine torque has to be controlled at any time, especially while starting to accelerate. At the moment we produce the steel frame, our drivetrain is already running on a test setup at our university.

I'll put some updates here, especially when the launchpad stuff gets implemented.

hehe our mechanical engineers say you are wrong. ;-)

Engine maximum torque is 240Nm per engine, we have 2 engines (seperated for left and right rear wheel) and a gear ratio of 1:1.8.

So final maximum torqe at the wheel is (in theory ;-) ) 864Nm (637lbft). This torque is only used when accelerating to maximum speed

Hi mrmoritz,

back to your initial question. Are you still open for features to include?

Well, I am working with trucks, and trucks don't have a 12V but a 24V electric system.

So it would be nice if if your dc/dc-converter could work with 24V input (which mean at least 32V input voltage).

The physical dimensions of the booster pack should not exceed the dimensions of the stellaris board.

It should be possible to put another booster pack on top of your booster pack, so there should be female connectors for all pins of the stellaris board on top of your board. Concerning the CAN-Bus there should be a 120 Ohm resistor on the board to connect CAN-H and CAN-L and it should be possible to connect/disconnect  this resistor between CAN-H and CAN-L by a special solder point for this purpose so that it easy to choose if you want this 120 Ohm connection or not. The can connector should have a 90 degree angle, so that it is possible to put another booster pack on top of your booster pack.

When will your CAN booster pack be ready for purchase?

Hi Oldie,

what do you think about this one:

2014-02-01%2009.36.24.jpg

It has same size as the launchpad, features a STMicro Gyro and Acc-Sensor (no need to place these if you dont need them).

The voltage regulator is a standard 7805 type, so you can drive the supply with a input voltage up to 35V (but you should avoid high currents due to high power loss at the regulator).

The 120 Ohm terminator is removable by a solder jumper, all connectors are 90 degrees types.

Board is not tested yet, will be tested in february.

Some other features:

-5V digital output, swithced with mosfet

-UART3 routed to septerate port to connect bluetooth module

-seperate CAN Input and output connectors

What do you think?

Hi,

that sounds really  good.

Is your Acc-Sensor an acceleration sensor? I only know Acc as adaptive cruise control, which uses radar or lidar sensors, but I think you don't mean this.

I hope you will be successful with this booster pack as well as with your formuly student project and the races you will have.

Concidering the sensors on your board you should offer it with basic IO-driver-software for calibaration and reading sensor data.

Please let me know when your booster pack is available and the price you are thinking of.