43oh

Is Energia just for prototyping or can it be used for actual product releases?

Hi Everyone,

New to the forum and new to the LaunchPad....but having a lot of fun using them to prototype.

I am considering moving from CCS to Energia as my primary development platform and had a few questions to assist me with the decision.

1. Is Energia only for LaunchPad's?
  2. Can I develop Energia code using a LaunchPad and then upload this code to a supported MCU using a Programmer, which I will then use on my own circuit board?
  3. How similar is the Energia code between the different LaunchPad variants? (does it require major changes?)
  4. Is anyone using Energia for a product release?

I know it does not have debugging features, but the benefits of quick development and the ability to use in different chips with same/similar code may outweigh these concerns. 

Thanks!

Glenn.

• 2 weeks later...
Let's try providing an answer to your questions...

Is Energia only for LaunchPad's?

Yes and no.

Yes, as Energia is a fork of the Arduino IDE for the LaunchPads.

No, as the framework used by Energia is the same used by Wiring and Arduino, so you can reuse the code on other platforms. 

The framework acts as a hardware abstraction layer, so e.g. SPI I2C Serial interfaces are used the same way whatever the board.

Can I develop Energia code using a LaunchPad and then upload this code to a supported MCU using a Programmer, which I will then use on my own circuit board?

I'm doing this removing the jumpers and using the programmer part only.

I also use a ZIF socket for the MSP430 in DIP package.

How similar is the Energia code between the different LaunchPad variants? (does it require major changes?)

Pins are numbered 1..10 11..21 are consistent across different boards. Now, not all the pins have the same features on all the boards. Have a look at the pins maps

The constants like RED_LED GREEN_LED are the same for different boards.

I often start developing with the Stellaris LaunchPad then downsize the code to fit into the MSP430G2553.

Is anyone using Energia for a product release?

I've developed smart sensors using Energia: a colour recognition sensor in less than a month, a 4-digit 7-segment in a week, ... 

Actually, I'm using the Energia framework but on a more powerful IDE, Xcode for Mac OS X with the embedXcode template.

LaunchPad + Energia provide great tools for rapid prototyping.

Happy coding with Energia!

Hi Rei,

Thanks for getting back to me.....and some excellent products you have produced with Energia, very cool.

Great to know I can use Xcode, I develop IOS apps, so am very family with this IDE and after using Code Composure for a while, I'm really beginning to appreciate Xcode's stability and functionality (plus I prefer to use my Mac when ever possible).

Does code-sense/intelli-sense work when using Xcode?

What additional features do you get by using Xcode?

I imagine in circuit debugging is still not available?

The product I'm working on has USB Host requirements, so has turned out to be a little more complicated than first thought, hence I definitely need to code in C/C++

Thanks again for answering my questions. I am sure to use Energia or possibly embedXcode in the future when I need to try something out quickly.

Glenn.

Hello Glenn

Glad to know you've found answers to your questions. 

Does code-sense/intelli-sense work when using Xcode?

Yes, actually it was the primary benefit I was looking for. It saves a lot of time!

What additional features do you get by using Xcode?

Among many other features:
  • cross-platform with support for Arduino, chipKIT, Digistump, LaunchPad, Maple, Teensy, Wiring boards,
  • version management with Git,
  • self-documentation with PDF, HTML and Xcode help outputs,
  • click-to-error,
  • and many, many more...
To get a more precise idea, have a look at the User Manual, available as an e-book and a PDF, and visit the website embedxcode.weebly.com

I imagine in circuit debugging is still not available?

No, not yet, as Apple provides no documentation at all about Xcode internals. I managed to finalise the template thanks to endless try and error work...

There's an official thread on 43oh forum and also on Stellarisiti forum.

I see embedXcode is your baby....very nice! I have downloaded the user manual onto my iPad and will have a read when I get the time.

Well done on the code-sense/intelli-sense inclusion, I really miss it when ever I'm not developing in Xcode, Visual Studio .Net or Intellij IDEA.

You say "no, not yet" on the in circuit debug....so you think it might be possible? Xcode IDE with an Energia framework that also included in circuit debug would be a an excellent solution for rapid development.

I'm really looking forward to following both projects as they mature over time.

Glenn.

I'm starting to use stellaris pad.

Altough i want to learn to use it in CCS i don't intend to use it there.

The idea is to always use Energia. When sometigh i need isnt in it i can implement it in Energia libraries :)

This makes it so much faster to make everytigh

You say "no, not yet" on the in circuit debug....so you think it might be possible? Xcode IDE with an Energia framework that also included in circuit debug would be a an excellent solution for rapid development.

GDB, the debugging standard used, is well documented and I've already used it on command line mode.

Xcode internals aren't documented at all and I don't expect Apple to release anything soon :(.

• 1 month later...

The idea is to always use Energia. When sometigh i need isnt in it i can implement it in Energia libraries :)

This makes it so much faster to make everytigh

Energia is actually two things:

• a very basic IDE based on Processing,
  • an easy-to-use framework —or hardware abstraction layer— based on the  de facto standard Wiring / Arduino.

Because the libraries of the framework are C/C++, they can be used with any IDE. 

• 2 months later...

@@Remixed123

I'm really looking forward to following both projects as they mature over time.

Glenn.

Starting release 115, embedXcode features debugging for the LaunchPad MSP430, Stellaris now Tiva C and F5529:

• the breakpoints are defined within the Xcode interface with conditions, counters, actions...
  • the template launches the debugging session in a Terminal window.
  • get access to the variables, stacks, modify the values... using a limited set of commands.

See the documentation at http://embedxcode.weebly.com/debugging.html

@@Remixed123

Starting release 115, embedXcode features debugging for the LaunchPad MSP430, Stellaris now Tiva C and F5529:

• the breakpoints are defined within the Xcode interface with conditions, counters, actions...
  • the template launches the debugging session in a Terminal window.
  • get access to the variables, stacks, modify the values... using a limited set of commands.
See the documentation at http://embedxcode.weebly.com/debugging.html

Well done!!! What a great achievement.

For anyone thinking of using the Energia Framework to develop, I strongly suggest you check out the work Rei has done with embedXcode.

Developing without debug features is like typing with one hand, sure you can do it, but it will take a lot longer. With embeddXcode you now get both hands to program your projects.

And you also get auto-complete/code-complete/intellisense .... Very nice.

Glenn

• 2 months later...

Now, with the new release 6 of Code Composer Studio, you can enjoy both the simplicity of the Energia framework and the power of advanced tools like a debugger.

I was looking at CCSv6 with a Tiva launchpad the last few days, and it's a nice transition point between arduino/energia and self setup Eclipse toolchains.  There's always a few quirks with Eclipse plugins like settings you don't remember where one control nested 5 menus deep was, but those seem to be few in nature.

The Linux install was a tad lengthy, and there's always issues with libs on self contained installers but most of those were easy enough to get by.  Prereq libs are listed here: http://processors.wiki.ti.com/index.php/Linux_Host_Support and a supposed lib checker is available here: http://processors.wiki.ti.com/index.php/Checking_Linux_Dependencies_for_CCS.

(For the moment at least the lib checker is not particularly robust and there seems to be a bug in it looking for a library version that doesn't exist.... so not confidence inspiring there.)