lawrence_jeff

SR04 Ultrasonic Driver

Attached find a driver for an HC-SR04 ultrasonic distance sensor (configurable for other similar devices)

I had a lot of issues with the sensors operating very unreliably when they operate beyond max distance so there is a bit of additional code to handle this

It supports single pings, multiple pings (with and without averaging) and a continual ping mode driven by a timer - so you can start it and then just check a variable at any time to get the most current measurement. Also supports returning statistics on the ping history

I'm still new to Stellaris and C in general so probably more bloated than it needs to be feel free to suggest better ways of doing things - I'm still learning and open to feedback.

Also a few questions

1) Is there a better way to dynamically pass the port/pin assignments dynamically instead of using a header file - I guess I'm more used to object oriented approaches where it would be easier to instantiate multiple instances of a driver to support multiple devices.

2) Is there a better way to return data from an ISR than a global variable?

3) Any good examples of a driver for a device that returns data -most of the examples I found are one way

Anyway hope someone can use it.

HC_SR04.zip

Thanks for sharing your driver!

1) Is there a better way to dynamically pass the port/pin assignments dynamically instead of using a header file - I guess I'm more used to object oriented approaches where it would be easier to instantiate multiple instances of a driver to support multiple devices.

yes, you can change port assingments on the fly.. but you will have to setup that pin again.. as an SSI, output or input etc.

2) Is there a better way to return data from an ISR than a global variable?

Not that I know off. You can do a get/set type function call within the interrupt. but there will be a little time penalty

3) Any good examples of a driver for a device that returns data -most of the examples I found are one way

It's possible with pointers. Look up "pass by reference" function calls.

lawrence_jeff,

How did you connect the HC-SR04 module to the Stellaris Launchpad?
From the source code I see you used ports PE1 and PE2 for Trig and Echo but how did you provide 5V to HC-SR04?

Thanks

I tried porting this to tiva c and i get the following two errors when trying to compile

Description Resource Path Location Type
#20 identifier "INT_GPIOE_" is undefined HC_SR04.c /RGB line 43 C/C++ Problem
#20 identifier "INT_TIMER0A_" is undefined HC_SR04.c /RGB line 75 C/C++ Problem

can anyone try and help as i am trying to make the HC-SR04 work with the Tiva C

I tried porting this to tiva c and i get the following two errors when trying to compile

#20 identifier "INT_GPIOE_" is undefined HC_SR04.c /RGB line 43 C/C++ Problem
#20 identifier "INT_TIMER0A_" is undefined HC_SR04.c /RGB line 75 C/C++ Problem

can anyone try and help as i am trying to make the HC-SR04 work with the Tiva C

can i ask wich board are you using and wich compiler?