calinp

[Energia Library] Stellaris Launchpad FatFs Energia library

This is a port to Energia of the Arduino library from this page: http://pressplay.pbworks.com/w/page/25687375/FatFs

The diskio.c driver is from Stellarisware example for lm4f232 with some changes:

- use digitalWrite for CS control

- use delays instead of timers for timeouts

The card must be connected to SSI0 (hardcoded in driver) but CS signal is defined in sketch and can be any pin.

I checked the FileWriteToSerial example and it is working with uSD and uSDHC cards (2GB and 8GB). I connected the uSD cards with and adapter to SD using the first method presented here: http://www.43oh.com/2011/02/five-cheap-breadboard-prototyping-tips-and-tricks-list-2/

Also, I'm not a good programmer (I had first hands-on experience with C when I discovered Energia) so some parts of the code might be optimised further for Stellaris.

Extract the archive in Energia\hardware\lm4f\libraries\ and enjoy!

[uPDATE] See post #7 http://forum.stellarisiti.com/topic/442-energia-library-stellaris-launchpad-fatfs-energia-library/#entry2553

[DOWNLOAD LINK] http://forum.stellarisiti.com/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_id=335

The file attached to this post is the first version. For the updated library please use the link above.

FatFs_03.zip

G'day Calin,

Having a wee bit of trouble with the this Fat library. I do not get the SPI  CLK.

Am sure my sd hardware is ok as I can get the CLK when running with the Petit Lib.

Will have a deeper look today.

Grant

G'day Cain,

Got the lib to work at last. The problem was not with the lib, but with using an arduino shield, that only takes a micro SD's.

After getting a sparkfun SD and wiring up the signals, all worked great.

I think I spent more time on decoding the SPI signals (mainly MISO) on my Cro  then anything else.

Makes one want to spend a few $$'s on a SPI to Hex display.

Anyway, will get on and have a good play with the lib's other functions.

Tks for your help once again.

Grant

Hi Grant,

Try to add a pull-up resitor of 1K to MISO pin. The original driver enables the weak pull-up for MISO, but in the the Energia SPI lib it is not enabled. You can also try to set the MISO pin with pinMode(MISO, INPUT_PULLUP) before SPI.begin.

Regards,

Calin

G'Day Calin,

Yup will give try out your suggestions, when I get back into town.

One thing I have added is a 1000MFD capacitor across the 3v3 supply at the SD card holder.

I found that each time I plugged in a SD card it would reset the processor. Also noted that a 470 MDF was not large enough.

Grant

Update to support the SPI driver and different SSI modules:

- FatFs.begin(cs_pin) -> defaults to SSI2 and maximum SPI clock

- FatFs.begin(cs_pin, clock_divider) -> SSI2 and SPI clock is divided by clock_divider.

- FatFs.begin(cs_pin, clock_divider, module) -> SPI clock is divided by clock_divider, new SSI module selection

- inherited print functions ( can be enabled in ffconf.h )

Pin 9 is used as CS inside the SPI library and it is toggled at each byte transferred so it can't be used by FatFs.

I made some tests with CS control disabled inside the SPI lib and the transfer speed increases by ~50%.

If the card can't be initialized, a possible solution is a 1K pull-up resitor from MISO to VDD.

Because this library doesn't use low level access to hardware it shoul be compatible with further boards supportded by Energia (with enough RAM).

Calin

[EDIT]  corrected the speed test example

FatFs_SpeedTest.txt

FatFs05.zip

Hi Calin,

I tested the example "FileWriteToSerial" and it worked perfectly. I tryed to run the "FatFsSpeedTest" but the program remains hanged-up just after PUSH2 release detection, have you experimented something like this? I suspect it happens at FatFs.open calling function just after key release detection.

Rgds,

Samuel

Hi Samuel,

I found  an error in that example. Please change char buffer[2048]; to char buffer[16384]; .

I updated the zip file with this change.

Thanks,

Calin

Hi Calin,

I updated the size of the buffer and now the example is running OK. By the way, this example is an excelent tool to verify writing/reading speeds as well as ratio of block size versus speed.

Thanks,

Samuel

Hi,

I have a problem. When I open file a write message to it and then write something to serial (even other serial ( i mean Serial1.writeln() ) ) it apears in the file.  Even after calling the "FatFs.close()". Could anyone help me with this?

Hello,

I will do some check on this.

Try to use the printf function for writing in files (needs to be enabled in ffconf.h, _USE_STRFUNC 1). Also disable the print support ( _USE_PRINT 0)

Hello,

I will do some check on this.

Try to use the printf function for writing in files (needs to be enabled in ffconf.h, _USE_STRFUNC 1). Also disable the print support ( _USE_PRINT 0)

I was trying this but always end with FR_NOT_ENABLED error .. and I must say that i do not know what this error mean... maybe I am doing something wrong...