43oh

We need more posts!

Hello Everyone.. Barring a few unfortunate people, I know most of you have your Stellaris Launchpads with you. It would be nice if you could post what you are doing with it or in the process of a project.

I'll make a post shortly.. I'm interfacing the Stellaris Launchpad to the WizFi210 wifi chip. The boosterpack will be $5. Stay tuned!

Hi BlueHash,

I see quite some people working on the StellarisTI which is good in terms of community-knowledge building up. But if I look at the C2K forum a call for more projects is really more necessary there are many days where hardly anybody posts anything on that forum. But I must say that I find the Stellaris LP easier to use than the C2K.

cheers

Cor

hi bluehash,

(NOTE to Cor ook)

Am I the only one ?? ... :

I'm finding it difficult to get up to speed on Stellaris. I have LP. CCS learning is ongoing, so I've tried Energia 9 only to run into what could be intsallation probs.  So, I spend more time on the 43oh.

Perhaps some experienced folks could help to get some simple 'tools training' on Stellaris LP for us noobs?  The power of Stellaris is oh so tantalizing !

I've got a couple of simple projects going on the Stellaris LP. Just posted a simple code snippet a few minutes ago.

Coming soon:

-- Dual OLED Display Driver  (working but needs full frame buffer implementation)

-- LSM303 based digital compass with graphical display (in progress)

-- Digital Clinometer (formerly on MSP430, now on the LM4F)

-- Clinometer sensor expansion using Emmoco ble kit

Never bought a C2K LP so haven't tinkered with one yet. Still have some x-mas dough so I might grab one with a booster.

Just my personal opinions on the subjects.

I think that the forums for all three of your TI chip sites should be merged.  I've alays felt that three sites with many of the same userbase makes it more difficult to collaborate.  43oh is a great site and has such a large base, and many projects are shared between all three platforms.  This is especially true since most users work with the various Launchpad parts.  You could still have separate portal sites, if you wish, but the forums should be combined with separate sections for each chip.  For example, AVRFreaks has the AVR8 and 32 products in a single forums.  Some of the stuff, like "Test Equipment Deals" and "Buy / Sell / Trade" are generic.  I tthink that you are already even forwarding some of these to 43oh currently.  But that just requires registration on multiple sites.

My thoughts:  Giving all 43oh forum members immediate forum access to to posts and info on both of these 32-bit architectures would immediately jumpstart interest in both sites.  Migrate all (non-duplicate) C2kCentral and Stellarisiti users over to 43oh forums, and merge the existing database content for these two sites into new forum sections.  Or, just do the database post content.  There are so many users here that are already on all three sites that it might be easiest to just have people re-register.

As for the C2000, there is no real incentive right now to use the chip for most projects.  ARM support is very good on all platforms, as is MSP430.  In spite of its benefits, C2000 is a pain to use due to a lack of GNU tools and a mechanism to debug without CCS.  Additionally, just about everyone is only using ARM for 32-bit projects these days.  The C2000 is powerful and has many good applications, but unless it can get a larger userbase, it will probably fade into obscurity in the same way that many other MCU companies are dumping their other 32-bit cores as they migrate to ARM.  Additionally, the C2000 Launchpad is more expensive compared to the other two Launchpads and many of the other ARM low-cost project boards.  Most people have managed to obtain STM32 Discovery boards for free through promos.  We know that the MSP430 Launchpad has always been an outstanding deal.  And the Stellaris Launchpad had great intro pricing in spite of delivery delays.  I've picked up several of each.  I have a Piccolo stick, but haven't felt any desire to pick up a C2000 Launchpad.  By comparison, I love the MSP430 and Stellaris Launchpad boards and work with them often.

TI contracted Mentor / Code Sourcery to write a GCC port for C6X with GCC 4.7, but support for lower-end TMS320 chips was mysteriously ignored.

The C2000 Launchpad part is simply not well-positioned for hobbyist projects.  I know that $17.00 is not that much money, but a hobbyist is going to probably pick up the option that is only 1/2 or 1/3 of the price, especially if the other chips are better-supported with example code, and code is generally more portable.  Unless you have a project for motor or power control, the C2000 is probably not the best part for a hobbyist to use.  Higher-end TMS320 chips seem to have better overall support, but even OMAP has been rumored to have a questionable future.

As an example, I can largely reuse well-established ARM code across both my TI Stellaris and my STM32-based projects with GCC.  Need an RTOS with C2000?  You pretty much have TI RTOS / BIOS.  Need an RTOS for ARM Cortex M4F?  Take your pick.

Good points.. I'll answer:

Just my personal opinions on the subjects.

I think that the forums for all three of your TI chip sites should be merged.  I've alays felt that three sites with many of the same userbase makes it more difficult to collaborate.  43oh is a great site and has such a large base, and many projects are shared between all three platforms.  This is especially true since most users work with the various Launchpad parts.  You could still have separate portal sites, if you wish, but the forums should be combined with separate sections for each chip.  For example, AVRFreaks has the AVR8 and 32 products in a single forums.  Some of the stuff, like "Test Equipment Deals" and "Buy / Sell / Trade" are generic.  I tthink that you are already even forwarding some of these to 43oh currently.  But that just requires registration on multiple sites.

Yes.. but Stellaris and 430 are two different architectures. Merging these two groups would explode/fragment up the sub-forum list... also loose that community feeling. I tried this with ARM-HQ( trying the get the major chipsets together) and fared pretty badly. I had to make so many sub-sections that new visitors were getting lost. I may try that again but need to think it through.

My thoughts:  Giving all 43oh forum members immediate forum access to to posts and info on both of these 32-bit architectures would immediately jumpstart interest in both sites.  Migrate all (non-duplicate) C2kCentral and Stellarisiti users over to 43oh forums, and merge the existing database content for these two sites into new forum sections.  Or, just do the database post content.  There are so many users here that are already on all three sites that it might be easiest to just have people re-register.

See.. that's unfortunate for me right now. Ipboard(forum software) will allow logins between multiple forums IF they are on the same server. 43oh is on a different server that Stellarisiti and C2K. 

As for the C2000, there is no real incentive right now to use the chip for most projects.  ARM support is very good on all platforms, as is MSP430.  In spite of its benefits, C2000 is a pain to use due to a lack of GNU tools and a mechanism to debug without CCS.  Additionally, just about everyone is only using ARM for 32-bit projects these days.  The C2000 is powerful and has many good applications, but unless it can get a larger userbase, it will probably fade into obscurity in the same way that many other MCU companies are dumping their other 32-bit cores as they migrate to ARM.  Additionally, the C2000 Launchpad is more expensive compared to the other two Launchpads and many of the other ARM low-cost project boards.  Most people have managed to obtain STM32 Discovery boards for free through promos.  We know that the MSP430 Launchpad has always been an outstanding deal.  And the Stellaris Launchpad had great intro pricing in spite of delivery delays.  I've picked up several of each.  I have a Piccolo stick, but haven't felt any desire to pick up a C2000 Launchpad.  By comparison, I love the MSP430 and Stellaris Launchpad boards and work with them often.

TI contracted Mentor / Code Sourcery to write a GCC port for C6X with GCC 4.7, but support for lower-end TMS320 chips was mysteriously ignored.

The C2000 Launchpad part is simply not well-positioned for hobbyist projects.  I know that $17.00 is not that much money, but a hobbyist is going to probably pick up the option that is only 1/2 or 1/3 of the price, especially if the other chips are better-supported with example code, and code is generally more portable.  Unless you have a project for motor or power control, the C2000 is probably not the best part for a hobbyist to use.  Higher-end TMS320 chips seem to have better overall support, but even OMAP has been rumored to have a questionable future.

As an example, I can largely reuse well-established ARM code across both my TI Stellaris and my STM32-based projects with GCC.  Need an RTOS with C2000?  You pretty much have TI RTOS / BIOS.  Need an RTOS for ARM Cortex M4F?  Take your pick.

I'll probably close C2K. There is just now enough interest in it for the Hobbyist as you say. I may change it into an STM32 forum or a beagleboard forum.

I have been trying to learn the Stellaris on and off for a couple months. I just can't get into the ARM architecture and the Peripheral library is just confusing to me.  I do like the Launchpad design (the pins on both sides and onboard +5V for example), and the hardware specs seem great.  It is just tough for me to learn how to use it and the C2000 has the same problem because there is no documentation for it.  I am a hobbyist who does not have an electronics background, so this is especially hard for me to understand.  I am really into programming, which is how I got into microcontrollers to begin with.

I would like to make a C++ based Stellaris toolkit library for my projects. I have started some simple C++ coding (which, btw, works fine in CCS... you don't have to use plain C), but I keep going back to the MSP430 because of it's ease of use and better documentation.  I think if I can get focused on the Stellaris I could learn it but I keep going back to the MSP430 as a sort of crutch because it is easier even though it doesn't have the RAM/Flash requirements I need.

I am curious if TI is really going to release the MSP430 5-series Launchpad like you posted on 43oh News a while back.

I do have a project but I have still not decided what Launchpad to use so I won't say more about it.

Cool.  I have not been following the other forums since I have been involved in another project these past couple months.  Now I'm back at doing this again though.

I will use that board on my project and post more info on 43oh.  I think it has enough memory.

• 2 months later...