43oh

C3ii - high-performance GPS-Aided Inertial Navigation System (INS) Booster Pack

Hi,

just wanted to give you a sneak preview of my Stellaris Launchpad Booster Pack - the C3ii!

post-1-14264605166456_thumb.jpg

When all the software is in place it will resemble an high-performance GPS-Aided Inertial Navigation System (INS) that combines MEMS inertial sensors, a high-sensitivity GPS receiver and a Bluetooth Class1 communications interface. The main objective for the C3ii is using it as a multirotor flight controller!

Some details on the 'guts' of my new creation:

- some TI components for voltage level translation and power supply (Vin < 26V)
- Invensens MPU-9150 9-axis motion tracking device (contains a 3-axis gyroscope, 3-axis accelerometer, 3-axis magnetometer and an onboard Digital Motion Processor)
- Measurement Specialties MS5611-01BA03 24-bit barometric pressure sensor (primary pressure sensor)
- Bosch Sensortec BMP180 barometric pressure sensor (secondary pressure sensor)
- Globaltop Technology PA6C GPS Module with high sensitivity (-165 dBm), 66 Channels, running at 10Hz update rate
- Roving Networks RN-41 Class 1 Bluetooth Module (for short/medium range communication)
- microSD-card socket for Data Logging etc.
- anti-vibration mounts integrated into the PCB
- some undisclosed options

The Stellaris Launchpad will be connected to the bottom of the C3ii.
Initial testings were fine but some more were needed to prove the design. If everything works fine I'm willing to offer the C3ii to the community (PCB only, maybe I will include a stencil). So, if somebody is interested in please let me know!

Kind regards
aBUGSworstnightmare

Edited by bluehash
Uploaded image file to community server. Please kindly do not hotlink images, they expire. :)

Hi Rogerpro,

this is my own design (done in Eagle). I usualy order my prototyping PCBs at PCB-Joker (www.pcb-joker.de). Series production (if any) will have white silkscreen printing and black solder stop.

Rgds

Joerg

aBUGSworstnightmare

This is good stuff! Welcome to Stellarisiti aBWN.. I follow you alot on e2e. I just flew my multirotor yesterday. I use Openilot though. Let us know what you need.. There is also the "Project of the Month"

skylar.jpg

This is good stuff! Welcome to Stellarisiti aBWN.. I follow you alot on e2e. I just flew my multirotor yesterday. I use Openilot though. Let us know what you need.. There is also the "Project of the Month"

attachicon.gifskylar.jpg

Hi bluehash,

well, since it's only a piece of hardware at the moment I don't think it's worth to contribute at the 'project of the Month' contest; no software, no schematics to post.

aBUGSworstnigthmare

• 3 weeks later...

Hi there,

now that my Stellaris I2C Driver API is in place (http://forum.stellarisiti.com/topic/417-i2c-with-stellaris-lm4f120h5qr-working-driver-api-example-code/) I had the time to proceed and build some routines to use it.

I've started with some software routines to interface with a 128x64 pixels OLED display which uses the SSD1308 controller. The driver is working but needs some touch-up before it will get posted in the Stellaris Code sharing forum.

Here are some pictures. The OLED is a 0.96in I2C module from wide.hk (http://www.wide.hk/products.php?product=I2C-0.96%22-OLED-display-module-%28-compatible-Arduino-%29) which is also available with area colour.

The code will allow flexible string display, centered display and image printing on the OLED. It is comparable to the 'simple display' found in the EVALBOT software examples. Maybe some scrolling commands will be added too.

Since my Stellaris I2C driver API takes the I2C-bus as a calling parameter, using more than one OLED in the system is an easy task.  

Rgds
aBUGSworstnightmare 

4657.SANY0051.JPG

3582.SANY0047.JPG

2148.SANY0048.JPG

3731.SANY0050.JPG

Well, since the MPU-9150 is a little beast - I think I will proceed with the GPS routines next (UART driver and NEMA decoding routines).

(a basic) I2C driver for the MPU-9150 should be an easy job since all routines are in place and ready to go. Maybe I will work on both (and display the related data on one of the OLEDs each).

I need to take a look on the example code of the EK-LM4F232 and the EVALBOT again to see if I can use their microSD card driver (the card is connected to SSI0 on the C3ii Booster Pack).

Hi, 

another short update on the driver API for the C3ii INS:

Drawing simple 'bitmaps' is done but I'm not quite satisfied with the routines. I think I will post them in the Stellaris sharing forum/code vault section here by the end of the week (at the latest).

By the way: any idea/recommendation how to re-write/modify UARTStdio to print on the OLED?

Rgds
aBUGSworstnightmare

1777.SANY0052.JPG

3146.SANY0054.JPG

P.S. Scan the qr-code ;-)

• 3 months later...

Hi Folks,

well, too bad that I haven't had the chance to participate in the TI Booster Pack Design contest! I expect I've had good chances to win a price since the guys there seems to like the idea of my C3ii INS Booster pack as they now have released a similar one: the Sensor Hub Booster Pack http://www.ti.com/tool/boostxl-senshub

It's in stock at the TI eStore. So, act quickly if you want to have one!

I will continue work on the C3ii INS for shure, hoping that the introduction of the TI Sensor Hub Booster Pack will speed up development.

Rgds

aBUGSworstnightmare

Hi Folks,

well, too bad that I haven't had the chance to participate in the TI Booster Pack Design contest! I expect I've had good chances to win a price since the guys there seems to like the idea of my C3ii INS Booster pack as they now have released a similar one: the Sensor Hub Booster Pack http://www.ti.com/tool/boostxl-senshub

It's in stock at the TI eStore. So, act quickly if you want to have one!

I will continue work on the C3ii INS for shure, hoping that the introduction of the TI Sensor Hub Booster Pack will speed up development.

Rgds

aBUGSworstnightmare

Bug,

Can the sensor BP placed on top of C3ii?

Bug,

Can the sensor BP placed on top of C3ii?

Yes, shouldn't be a problem when using the same pinheaders as features on the Launchpad itself. Since I have an still unpopulated PCB lying around I will test if it is possible to solder the Launchpad directly to the C3ii INS PCB and then plug the sensor BP ontop of that. Depends on the lenght of the Launchpad pins.

In every case the C3ii will not be populated with the sensors!

Well, since we know have a interrupt I2C API and a good set of code to deal with the sensors itself (part of the SW-EK-TM4C123GXL - http://www.ti.com/tool/sw-ek-tm4c123gxl ) it should speed up the SW development.

Will have to re-write my OLED code  ;) to work with the new I2C master API (unfortunately, no I2C slave routines were enclosed).

aBUGSworstnightmare

• 2 months later...