43oh

Anyone building CMSIS under Linux?

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Thanks for the info. You can already find my makefiles shared in this post. Using them I have successfully built CMSIS3.0 DSPLib. I have to test if it also works for 3.01 version.   Yesterday I also

I have recently received my Stellaris Launchpad and I'm building a toolchain to code for it using GNU+Linux.   So far I have the cross compiler+lm4tools+stellarisware running. I can build the stella

I had some time and started writing a test makefile, that builds all .c files inside a DSPLib subdirectory and creates a library with them:   PART=LM4F120H5QR PREFIX=arm-none-eabi- CC=gcc AR=ar RM

I don't think that's the problem, but sure it's worth a try. Thanks for the suggestion, I'll try it ASAP.

This is what the datasheet says about hard faults:

Hard Fault. A hard fault is an exception that occurs because of an error during exception

processing, or because an exception cannot be managed by any other exception mechanism.

Hard faults have a fixed priority of -1, meaning they have higher priority than any exception with

configurable priority.

No other exception is triggered before the hard fault (I have an empty handler with a while(1); to catch all unused exceptions), and memset is not called while processing other exception, so for me it doesn't make sense that a hard fault exception is raised.

Reading a bit more, chapter 2.6.1 states that a hard fault can be caused also by a "Bus error on a vector read". I don't really know what that means exactly ¿?.

I'll also have to try reading HFAULTSTAT register to see if it sheds some light...

• 5 weeks later...

Was any solution ever found for this problem? 

I hit the same issue while trying to get FreRTOS up and running.  Everything works great until memset is called - which seem to generate a hard fault.

Even TI's stock example "/stellarisware/boards/ek-lm4f120xl/freertos_demo/gcc/freertos_demo.bin" locks up.

• 2 weeks later...

@jimk3038, to build FreeRTOS, are you using startup code and linker scripts made by Scompo? I suspect there's something wrong with the linker script that might be causing problems with the initialization of the libraries. I'm discussing this problem in this thread: http://forum.stellarisiti.com/topic/327-stellaris-launchpad-gcc-makefile-startup-file-and-linker-script-bsd/?p=2162

I have solved the main problem with the library  :). Using TI startup code and linker script, now I'm able to build CMSIS with GCC, and use it. I have tested arm_fir_example, and works perfect!

The problem is I was linking with the ARM libgcc library, instead of the Thumb one. To jump to the memset function, gcc was using a BLX instruction instead of a BL one, and BLX instruction isn't supported by cortex CPU's because they only support Thumb instructions. When the CPU tried to execute the BLX instruction, the HardFault exception was raised.

TI Should document that HardFault exception is also raised when an invalid instruction is found. I searched thoroughly the docs, and didn't find it. Would have saved me a lot of time  :wacko:.

I have solved the problem using gcc instead of ld to link. Passing gcc the switches -mthumb -mcpu=cortex-m4, makes it automatically select the right libraries, and uses BL instead of BLX to jump.

I still have to figure out why building with Scompo's startup code doesn't work, but at least, everything works perfect with TI files.

• 2 weeks later...

Fixed the problems I had building with Scompo's files. Now I have a working GCC library, 100% built with FOSS utils and code :).

For more details about the startup code fixes, read here. If you are using Sompo's startup files, be warned you'll also have to enable the FPU in your code, because Scompo's code doesn't do it.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I fell in the same memset/blx hole as you I believe...

I am trying to build the simpliciti stack for stellaris launchpad using gcc, but calls to memset use blx instruction what then causes hard failure of the program.

However, I use only TI files for the moment. Also, I made sure (I think) I put -mthumb and -mcpu=cortex-m4 in the Makefile, so it should work according to your post.

Any clue what alse could have gone wrong?

I am no compilation expert, could you say in which way I could check which libraries were compiled in?

Thanks!

Hi,

Ufff, after a bit of debugging (and learning about gcc, that is never lost time :D ) I noticed that when I build with "-mfloat-abi=softfp" I get the default libgcc.a as doragasu earlier explained (memset gets compiled to blx instruction -> that gives a hard fault).

Strangely, it seems that it was the summon-arm-toolchain that did not compile 'softfp' version. Is that possible? I don't have previous experience with arm toolchains... Any idea how I could force 'sat' to compile for 'softfp'? 

Either way, using 'hard' as '-mfloat-abi' does work!

I link with arm-none-eabi-ld, but the problem was that 

LIBGCC=${shell ${CC} ${CFLAGS} -print-libgcc-file-name}

where 

CFLAGS= -mthumb -mcpu=cortex-m4 -mfpu=fpv4-sp-d16 -mfloat-abi=softfp

results in 

~/sat/lib/gcc/arm-none-eabi/4.7.2/libgcc.a

which is wrong. 

Putting -mfloat-abi=hard gives "

~/sat/lib/gcc/arm-none-eabi/4.7.2/thumb/cortex-m4/float-abi-hard/fpuv4-sp-d16/libgcc.a

so that the correct library is linked.

So it is precisely the same problem you had, however for some reason the "softfp" lib is not installed...