Sign in to follow this  
The_YongGrand

Stellar grade forums

Hello there,

I've worked with a lot of PIC microcontrollers and including the PIC32 and I'm amazed that the TI's coming out with the Stellaris Launchpad. So, I went out and preordered two of these. Maybe tomorrow or the next day I'll have these on my hands.

I can't wait to do 1.556778 * 2.33894 on that thing because it's Cortex-M4.

One question is, are the IDEs easier to use than the ST ones? I have the ST one but I find them very difficult to use. I hope the Stellaris I will have will impress me. :)

If you are familiar with eclipse, Code Composer Studio will be a blast to use. It works out of the box.

The only time consuming issue is the size of the software.

Also, welcome to the Forums.

Hello there and thanks for the warm welcome. I'll use the CCS and had to bear with the software size since it's a small tradeoff.

I plan to use some assembly on it for optimizing some difficult code, but the thing is, like the MIPS's M4K (PIC32), the cycles per instructions are not consistent. I read through the MIPS and ARM's manual, apparently they are using some sort of instructional cache.

Anyone actually wrote assembly for ARM systems? Or it is not neccessary at all? :)

Guest Stellarisiti

Hello there and thanks for the warm welcome. I'll use the CCS and had to bear with the software size since it's a small tradeoff.

I plan to use some assembly on it for optimizing some difficult code, but the thing is, like the MIPS's M4K (PIC32), the cycles per instructions are not consistent. I read through the MIPS and ARM's manual, apparently they are using some sort of instructional cache.

Anyone actually wrote assembly for ARM systems? Or it is not neccessary at all? :)

Not necessary, but you can.

By the way, what license should I select? I read from the TI Launchpad wiki site that there is no code size/optimization limits specially on TI Stellaris Launchpad, so I selected something about "Free for Stellaris emulators". The license setup wizard now, when I click on it, only left "Activate" and "Code Size Limited".

How am I going to see whether it's still licensed for the TI Stellaris Launchpad or it is still in evaluation mode?

Thanks.

Bottom left corner should say "Licensed".

Thanks for the tip.

I'm reading up the registers on the datasheet a bit more - is it OK to do so? Because I'm very used to manipulating the registers directly in PIC32, so there would be a bit of a habit to do this manually instead of depending on the libraries. I would use libraries for USB and SD-Card File System due to the complexity.

The GPIO for ARM processors are a bit more complicated, so I may have to read the part thoroughly.