MattTheGeek

MotorPack - 4 Ch Motor Controller BoosterPack

The MotorPack is a 4 channel motor controller (Does more than drive the motors) based off four DRV8830 ICs from TI. Each channel can drive up to 1 Amp, for a total of 4 amps. Can drive motors or other actuators up to 6.8V (7V is absolute maximuim). Communication to the motor controllers is done through I2C. An on-board voltage regulator can provide power for the launchpad.

post-165-14264605151911_thumb.png

Log

10/24/2012

Designing in address select logic to enable stacking two motor control booster packs.

Will this be able to drive bipolar steppers? Looks like you could drive two possibly?

Each channel can drive:

• One brushed DC motor (or a solenoid and other actuators)
  • One Winding of a unipolar or bipolar stepper motor

Is a mode for steppers provided by the driver chips, or do you have to update each step via i2c? I'd love to be able to simply set a speed and direction via i2c and not have to drive each step! Also will these be stackable at different i2c addresses?

Is a mode for steppers provided by the driver chips, or do you have to update each step via i2c? I'd love to be able to simply set a speed and direction via i2c and not have to drive each step! Also will these be stackable at different i2c addresses?

You have to update the controller for each step, But I'm sure i can abstract that in software. I also could do it with hardware by adding a MSP430 to control the drivers if that sounds more appealing.

I can certainly try to add selectable addresses (Either by jumpers or on-board logic).