43oh

Shields compatibility and interoperability

Hmmm, because of the weird Arduino pin spacing the shields don't fit mechanically and the voltage does not match ( 5V <-> 3.3V ). But it can be done though, it's just no plug and play.

Will a adapter boosterPack work? However I'm not sure how ADC voltages would be made compatible. I find Arduino shields a bit expensive while the msp430 boosterPacks so far are pretty low priced.

Thank you very much, Oppa; Mechanicall compatibility would not be a disaster while voltage could take just a little effort more, I guess. Bu the way your answer solved my question because I'm e newbie and this means my brain works fine!

@wrecker thanks. But, can you supply me a list or a place to take a lock for booster packs?

Mechanicall compatibility would not be a disaster while voltage could take just a little effort more, I guess.

You have to look at every single Shield and look up the datasheets of the active parts, a lot of 5V devices run happily at 3V3 too. Voltage conversion could be just 2 resistors, even level converters are cheap these days. So the answer is "Depends...".

There's a chain of people trying to make a buck of Arduino Shields, Booster Packs are made by community members happy if they get their cost covered or by TI for promotional reasons. That makes the big difference in price.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank but...I found yesterday one shield for arduino, capable of memory expansion.

Tech notes wrotes about 'library'.

Bcause of I'm a newbie, I guess that, if you like to use it, you have to write brand new library to be used with C and CCS instead of 'Arduino IDE'.

Am I wrong?

Ferb - Can you provide link to the shield? Might be easier to answer if could see details.

Would almost certainly involve some programming to access.

--

Addition:

Just looking around a bit I found this

http://hackaday.com/...n-arduino-mega/

about somebody building an Arduino memory expansion.

The memory part they used looks to be 5 volt, so adapting might be needed.

But there are 3 volt capable SRAM modules.

Even found one available in a DIP package

AS6C4008

(512K x 8 SRAM)

I think if one added a couple of latches

(e.g. SN74AHC373NE4 )

Plus the usual capacitors

Then work out the timing for a driver.

One might come up with a memory add-on for the Stellaris LP.

Would take about 1316 I/O pins.

(Caveat - I am more of a software sort, just dabble in hardware, may have overlooked something. I mention the DIP chips because easier to connect, but plenty of other options for

those with more soldering skill.)

On the swfitek FRAM board:

From the schematic it looks like they brought out the 3.3v. interface to a header so voltage shouldn't be a problem.

Would require writing a library for it (I2C).

What application are you aiming at that need the particular merits of FRAM?

I think FRAM is generally more expensive than either regular RAM (SRAM, DRAM) or flash.

Of course it has advantage over flash in lower power, higher speed, more write cycles, less hastle to manage.

Advantage over regular RAM in being non-volitile.