Sign in to follow this  
Automate

ARM programming on a breadboard

HAD has a post about running an ARM DIP from a breadboard with open source tools.

"The chip in question is NXP’s LPC1114FN28, a 28-pin breadboard friendly chip we’ve posted about before. After finding a single supplier for this microcontroller (only $1.26 for one chip!), [brad] pulled out his breadboard and started wiring things up."

http://hackaday.com/...rm-programming/

lpc1114breadboard.png

So have you done anything more with this chip? I got one a while back in the fall and didn't have the time to do much with it then.

I am using the LPC1114 (in PDIP even) for my 16x16 bi-color LED matrix (plans are to make it somewhat bigger) : http://forum.stellarisiti.com/topic/575-web-browser-controlled-16x16-bi-color-led-matrix/

I find the chip quite nice. Low price and relatively easy to work with. I suspect that much of the chip is based directly on the reference macro cells by ARM. If that's good or bad I don't know, but it might explain the price :-)

That is great xpg. I haven't been following this forum much lately. Thanks!

Are you using a library or framework?

Not really. I used the following code as base for my work: https://github.com/Zuph/lpc1114-blink but it only contains the basic definitions, and I wouldn't even consider it a library. But I have to admit that I just wanted to get started quickly, and didn't really bother to try too much to find any libraries or frameworks. For future project I would prefer having a good base to start with.

Yeah I found that one also. I'm surprised how little information is out in the wild about these chips given how easy they are to use. I'm getting my fabooh framework going with it. I expect it will be a while befre I publish anything though. I have it doing basic GPIO and Serial working at this point. I'm just using it with an FTDI dongle.

Are there many people interested in this chip? Is this an appropriate site to have a discussion about it? I haven't found any fanboi sites for it.

Yeah I found that one also. I'm surprised how little information is out in the wild about these chips given how easy they are to use. I'm getting my fabooh framework going with it. I expect it will be a while befre I publish anything though. I have it doing basic GPIO and Serial working at this point. I'm just using it with an FTDI dongle.

Are there many people interested in this chip? Is this an appropriate site to have a discussion about it? I haven't found any fanboi sites for it.

That framework looks good. Why haven't I noticed that before? :-) I would indeed find LPC11xx support really cool. If you need someone to test, I'll be willing :-)

I too am surprised by the lack of community around these chips. The LPCware forums are the closest, but I'm not very impressed. Probably got spoiled by 43oh.com :-)

I would love to get my hands on a few of those DIP's ....

But Shipping + customs Fee's are killing me  (will be around 100$) ....

Wonder if we could make a "Group buy" us poor sods in EU ...

I'd be in for 39+ ... Afaik they come in tubes with 13 ...

/Bingo

I would love to get my hands on a few of those DIP's ....

But Shipping + customs Fee's are killing me  (will be around 100$) ....

Wonder if we could make a "Group buy" us poor sods in EU ...

I'd be in for 39+ ... Afaik they come in tubes with 13 ...

/Bingo

Buying anything like that in single quantities is annoyingly difficult here in Denmark as well. As a consequence I always wait until I need

alot of things and place orders at Mouser. I've also managed to order stuff together with a couple of collegues.

Mouser has free shipping for purchases over 100USD, and besides VAT (25% in Denmark), I have never paid any extra custom fees. But then again, in Denmark there are no custom duties to be paid for electronics components.

So, if you are interested in buying 39, I think the price would be around 100USD making the shipping from Mouser free.

Buying anything like that in single quantities is annoyingly difficult here in Denmark as well. As a consequence I always wait until I need

alot of things and place orders at Mouser. I've also managed to order stuff together with a couple of collegues.

Mouser has free shipping for purchases over 100USD, and besides VAT (25% in Denmark), I have never paid any extra custom fees. But then again, in Denmark there are no custom duties to be paid for electronics components.

So, if you are interested in buying 39, I think the price would be around 100USD making the shipping from Mouser free.

Thanx for the tip.

I seem to remember they were a lot cheaper @Arrow , and wa shoping we could hit the 100 pcs price.

But else i'll have a loon at Mousers shipping again.

Thanx for the tip

/Bingo