rbasoalto

Quadcopter on the cheap!

Hi everyone!

I saw this IMU (3-axis accelerometer + 3-axis gyro + 3-axis magnetometer + pressure altimeter) for $21 on eBay (link), and the $5 Stellaris launchpad, and I immediately thought: QUADCOPTER!

Already placed the order for the IMU and Stellaris, and I plan to design a Boosterpack to connect motors, sensors, and probably a sonar ranger to the floor and/or ceiling (for indoor flight).

Anyone has any experience with these flying monsters?

Thanks!

Hi everyone!

I saw this IMU (3-axis accelerometer + 3-axis gyro + 3-axis magnetometer + pressure altimeter) for $21 on eBay (link), and the $5 Stellaris launchpad, and I immediately thought: QUADCOPTER!

Already placed the order for the IMU and Stellaris, and I plan to design a Boosterpack to connect motors, sensors, and probably a sonar ranger to the floor and/or ceiling (for indoor flight).

Anyone has any experience with these flying monsters?

Thanks!

Very interested! I flew mine on a maiden yesterday. I'm using CC3D as a controller which is based of an STM32. I can give you alot more information if you want. Very eager to see your progress.

Also, Stellarisiti has Blogging support, so you can continue a build log in this thread and also write to your blog about any milestones.

This is mine:

I've seen a lot of DIY tutorials, etc, but most are using carbon fiber frames, etc. Have you seen a simple guide for something waaaay cheaper? I'm thinking acrylic frame (hand-cut, of course), and cheap motors and ESCs. My first goal is to get it flying, with no human control. Something like taking off, flying steady-still 20cm off the ground, then landing.

I'd also love to read something on the control: is proportional enough? or should I go for PID? Also, I'm thinking it's wise to begin with accelerometer-only control, and then start experimenting with gyros. Should be enough for this purpose.

I've seen a lot of DIY tutorials, etc, but most are using carbon fiber frames, etc. Have you seen a simple guide for something waaaay cheaper? I'm thinking acrylic frame (hand-cut, of course), and cheap motors and ESCs. My first goal is to get it flying, with no human control. Something like taking off, flying steady-still 20cm off the ground, then landing.

I'd also love to read something on the control: is proportional enough? or should I go for PID? Also, I'm thinking it's wise to begin with accelerometer-only control, and then start experimenting with gyros. Should be enough for this purpose.

My practice frame was made of CF rods and plates. I made sure that Motor to Motor distance was 500mm, which is the usual. The easiest way to go about it is to buy "warthox" center plates and get your CF arms from Hobby King. That will make a perfect quad.

Hello, rbasoalto.

Do uou think this module is suitable for Stellaris? Description of the auction talks about Arduino.

Ehrm, forgive my question but I'm a totally newbie of this world.

Thanks

Ferb

These days everything slightly related to DIY electronics is marketed as "for arduino". This IMU module is just a set of 4 sensors on an I2C bus, making it perfect for anything I2C-capable, and over just 2 wires! The 400khz bus should be more than enough for this purpose.

You people are distracting me!

I'm supposed to be learning these microcontrollers, and thinking about using the kit for my motorcycle... and here you are posting this?

Now I'm wondering how nitro-methane powered engines (used on small-medium sized model planes and hi-perf helos) would do with servo controlled throttles, accelerometers, GPS and such?

And why hasn't any done one of these ducted fan planes:

... or ...

And for good measure: a turbine powered RC helo:

http://www.stupidvid...C_Helicopter_1/

Is it possible to make a CAN controlled, fuel burning, quad copter?

You people are distracting me!

I'm supposed to be learning these microcontrollers, and thinking about using the kit for my motorcycle... and here you are posting this?

Now I'm wondering how nitro-methane powered engines (used on small-medium sized model planes and hi-perf helos) would do with servo controlled throttles, accelerometers, GPS and such?

I think trying to get 4 Motors to stay in sync and to have the right throttle response might be a bit tough.... On the other hand, using a nitro-methane engine and a brushless motor as a Generator to drive 4 brushless motors might just be possible..... Not that I have ever considered such a crazy idea.....

If you've never seen videos of RC planes "hovering":

Imagine 4 of those engines in a quad-copter- amazing power-to-weight ratio.

Properly designed foils between the engines and it may be able to transition from vertical to horizontal flight... imagine the speed?

Throttle control would be a bear though.

OK, a long time has gone by... I finally made the choice and got the motors, ESC, propellers, and a frame from DX.com.

I know there are better places to get these parts, but DX.com had a good price and variety. For around 100 USD I got everything I need to make a "stable flight" prototype. The only things missing are batteries and radio.

A friend of mine crashed his R/C airplane and gladly donated the radio for this project. And batteries... let me first get this thing off the ground tethered, and just then I can think about batteries.

On the software side, I'm partnering with a friend with lots of experience in MSP430 (although not so much in control systems), but I think we can learn something from ArduCopter code, or similar projects, and port them to the Stellaris. 32-bit architecture at 80 MHz and hardware floating-point unit might come very handy here.

The first steps will be getting the Stellaris working nice with Mac/Linux and hopefully with gcc.

Then we're going to focus on modules: reading the sensors, controlling the motors, reading the radio commands, and debug output (maybe stream debug messages through CC1100 radios, or spit them through UART with a HC05-like bluetooth module).

Then comes the hard part of putting inertia and motors together with the control system.

Finally, getting the quad to obey radio commands.

We're also thinking on integrating gps waypointing capabilities for semi-autonomous navigation. This will probably not be of too much use, since we're not expecting battery life to exceed 10~20 minutes. We'll have to measure the system power requirements and find a suitable battery pack to fit our power/weight needs.

PS: for those of you who are curious about the parts used, here's the list:

A2212-6 2200KV Brushless Motor Set - Golden http://dx.com/p/41211

Mystery Speed Controller Pentium-30A for Brushless Motors (300/450 R/C Helicopters) http://dx.com/p/34338

4-Axis HJ450 Multi Flame Wheel Flame Strong Smooth KK MK MWC Quadcopter Kit - Red + Black http://dx.com/p/124486

10 x 4.5 1045 Rotating Shaft Propellers for Multi Copter - Black (2-Pair) http://dx.com/p/123222

Hi rbasoalto,

don't now if you've seen my C3ii booster pack already: http://forum.stellarisiti.com/topic/393-c3ii-high-performance-gps-aided-inertial-navigation-system-ins-booster-pack/ 

I will use it for porting MultiWii software (www.multiwii.com) to Stellaris Cortex M4. So, why don't you use MultiWii code (find the sources here http://code.google.com/p/multiwii/source/browse/#svn%2Ftrunk%2FMultiWii_shared ) instead of ArduCopter? 

I plan to keep the MultiWii GUI for doing all the setup and configuration stuff.

aBUGSworstnightmare