Sign in to follow this  
msr

Programming via BSL

Hello,

It seems that I can program a MSP430 device without a programmer (like MSP-FET430UIF) just using an USB-USART converter and BSL_TX and BSL_RX pins on the device right?

I also noticed that TI offer some sample code to communicate with the device (BSL_Scripter).

Anyone here already tried that? Is is "easy" to use?

Im designing a very basic board for MSP430FJ437 in order to test its BSL capabilities. Im using a FT232R, from FTDI, connected directly to BSL_TX and BSL_RX pins however I would like to make sure this is possile and receive some feedback on its usage.

Thanks!

(edit: just to make it clear, Im just interested in programming the device, not debbuging it like a "real" programmer/debugger)

I have never heard of anyone doing it this way. Maybe I'm wrong but I think you are heading towards failure. Change course. The device you mentioned only supports JTAG programming.

Please read this datasheet MSP430x4xx Family User's Guide (Rev. J).

Then read this applications note on JTAG programming before you continue.

Read this article in the TI Wiki for a brief summary on the topic.

I'm very new to MSPs, but it seems as if the BSL was standard on older chips but not very common any more. Furthermore, it seems that many of the newer chips support BSW (bi-spy-wire, a two-wire serial implementation of JTAG) in addition to standard JTAG, so you might just want to drop the $4.30 on a launchpad and use it (via short jumper wires) to program your chip.

But again, you are going to want to check the datasheet to make sure the chips supports BSW, or just pick one that does.

I mistyped the device name. Its MSP430FG437 and not MSP430FJ437.

But on MSP430x4xx Family User's Guide (Rev. J). its said:

Every MSP430 flash device contains a bootstrap loader. The BSL enables

users to read or program the flash memory or RAM using a UART serial

interface. Access to the MSP430 flash memory via the BSL is protected by a

256-bit, user-defined password.

Also, http://focus.ti.com/lit/ug/slau319a/slau319a.pdf explains how BSL works and how to inferface with it.

The MSP430 BSL enables users to communicate with embedded memory in the MSP430 microcontroller

during the prototyping phase, final production, and in service. Both the programmable memory (flash

memory) and the data memory (RAM) can be modified as required.

The MSP430FG437 is a "MSP430 Flash Devices With Dedicated JTAG Pins", but, as I can understand, it can be programmed via BSL and an UART interface.

Im not interested in JTAG or SBW because those require specific hardware (usually not cheap) whose purpose is just programming/debugging. With BSL I would only need an USB-USART converter which can be used to program the device and transmit other kind of data.

What do you think?

You know TI does chip-specific datasheets, right?

http://focus.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/msp430fg437.pdf

Here's a link to the list of all the 4xx datasheets:

http://focus.ti.com/mcu/docs/quickdatas ... milyId=914

I can't help you with bootloader stuff as I've never done it, but I do know there are several datasheets on it -- I did skim them when I first looked at the msp430 two weeks ago...

Yea, I know. Datasheets are more for electrical/physical specifications of the device. However its also stated in the datasheet its BSL capabilites, in particular, on page 11 there's a list with TX and RX pins of BSL.

Well, I think I will give it a try :)

Im not interested in JTAG or SBW because those require specific hardware (usually not cheap) whose purpose is just programming/debugging.

The LaunchPad is a fine programmer that can program any MSP430 that supports SBW. At $4.30, I think it DEFINITELY qualifies as "cheap". :D

Yea, I know. Datasheets are more for electrical/physical specifications of the device. However its also stated in the datasheet its BSL capabilites, in particular, on page 11 there's a list with TX and RX pins of BSL.

Well, I think I will give it a try :)

This would be the same thing the Launchpad does to upgrade itself. I would love to hear your results :)