weirdnerd10

1.8V Power for MSP430

Hello All,

I am a beginner to MSP430G2553, however all I am trying to do is get the MSP430 to execute the blink code while on 1.8V power supply. 

I have tried it on the launchpad board and it seems to stop working around 2.1V power supply. I then tried the barebones method by only using a bypass capacitor, pull up resistor for reset, and LED/current limiting resistor on a breadboard, but it seems that again the circuit only works down to around 2.0V. I measured the output pin while at 1.8V and it is in 10's of mV so it is not a problem of the LED getting degraded voltage levels but the fact that its barely getting any voltage.

Is there something special I need to set on the chip before using this at 1.8V? 

Thank you for your time!

Your MSP430 would only run at 1.8V when running at low clock speeds (for both SMCLK and MCLK), I guess 1MHz would be safe. Also, note that most red LEDs have a forward voltage drop of 1.8V, other colours even higher. Your MSP430 is guaranteed to have a high voltage output of at least Vcc-0.3V when within the defined current drain, so you know your output voltage is between 1.5 and 1.8 volts.

Your best bet is to use a low current signal LED with a red colour, and even then you might not be able to power it.

Alternatively, use a voltmeter instead of an LED and verify that the output is behaving as expected.

I didn't pay attention to the clock speed since I was using a basic example off of Energia. I will try to go back and redo the blink code while manually setting the clock speed to be lower. I was using a green LED but also probing the output pin with a DMM to ensure the voltages. I will redo this as well without the LED and just the DMM.

Thank you both for your help!!

I manually set the clock speed to 1MHz and it works great!!! Thank you so much for your help roadrunner84 and chicken!

Take a look in the datasheet http://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/msp430g2553.pdfon page 21:

post-40280-0-16720100-1426870030_thumb.png

From figure 1, you'll see that you can even run the MSP430 at up to 6MHz at 1.8V. BUT take care not to program the flash below 2.2V!

post-40280-0-16720100-1426870030_thumb.png

Edited by Friedl