spirilis

TI CCS Cloud - Public Beta

I noticed this - https://ccs.ti.com/

It's in public beta right now.  It's a Node.js-based lightweight version of the CCS IDE without debugging features (just code flashing).  Supports importing Energia projects (although without debugging it doesn't really offer anything above the Energia IDE), presently only supports MSP430 chips, and its flashing subsystem supports the MSP-EXP430G2 FET, eZFET and possibly MSP-FET, FET430UIF, etc.

I played around with it a bit, just getting a blinky program running on my F5529LP.  The flashing subsystem requires a new piece of software called "TI Cloud Agent" which is provided for download when you go to the "Target > Connect COM port" menu option.  I ran it under Fedora 19 Linux 64-bit and it works.  The Cloud Agent is a downloadable binary you run which provides a lightweight installer, runs some scripts as root (or requests that you do it manually) and installs itself in $HOME/TICloudAgent.

Then there's a Chrome extension you install which allows the IDE to talk with the Cloud Agent.  (This Chrome extension should automatically start the Cloud Agent processes for you, i.e. no need to start them on bootup)

I have chatted with the support team (ticloudtools@list.ti.com) a bit and found out a few details-

1. MSP430 projects (non-Energia imported sketches) use CL430 *non-code-size-limited*!

2. All MSP430 chips supported by CCS6 should be available for use here.  Since it uses the standard MSP Debug Stack for its flashing I assume you could, e.g., use it with an MSP-FET or MSP-FET430UIF and target board, such as the PZ100USB (F5659) or the one used for the FR6989 giveaway.

3. No support for "switching compilers" at the moment.  The Energia sketch support uses Energia's build of mspgcc internally.  I don't believe it requires Energia to be installed locally.

4. Energia sketches require you specify the arch and board when they're created, but I don't see any way of "changing" the intended board.  Have to create a new project to make a sketch for a different MSP430 launchpad board.

Seems kind of neat.  Sort of like mbed without the API.

Seems like the beta is still being worked on .. I don't see any way to download the .out file .. nothing happens when i select that menu option. Seems to be lacking anyway to configure the compiler optimization/debug/library settings.  Wish it had code completion for all the defines ..  functions seem to work but not things like P1<ctrl+space>

[edit]  .. oh ya and having to install a native extension in the browser .. unlikely to happen here .. I'd prefer not to have that stuff in my browser[/edit]

-rick

I just discovered this today as well.  My opinion, it is very awesome!

I attached my MSP430G2553 Launchpad, installed the plugin and clicked debug and it worked right away, on a Mac none the less.

So in spite of what I said before about not wanting to run native binaries, I did try to install the ticloudagent. However, it doesn't work with a 32 bit linux desktop. The link they provide is a 64bit installer.run file. I had to reboot into 64 bit linux and extract the files then go back into my normal 32 bit linux desktop.  From there I ran the install script in 32 bit linux. That flash programming feature worked with the msp430f5529 but not the msp430g2553 lp.  It turns out the web pages downloads new flasher applications and runs them depending on the board you select. With the msp430g2553, it uses mspdebug as the flasher and it is compiled for 64bit.  You can get it to work by watching where it downloads to and replacing with a 32 bit mspdebug.  

Also it didn't seem to work with Chromium, but did work with Google Chrome. 

Whew! ..

Anyways I wanted to be ready to try out the msp432 launchpad using that stuff.  

-rick 

My only criticism is that the github integration is a little half baked.  I wanted to push one of my projects to a new repo, I couldn't do that.  Nor was I able to pull any of my repos from Github.

The Node.js IDE is really an adaptation of Cloud9, basically Eclipse IDE re-written for the web.  We'll be seeing a lot more of these popping up.  TI pioneered this idea with Beagle Bone Black, it hosted its own version of c9.