Sign in to follow this  
none

Frequent segmentation faults with CCS and TI Compiler

Win7 32 Bit and very frequently this:

C:\Texas Instruments\ccsv4\utils\gmake\gmake -k all 
'Building file: ../main.c'
'Invoking: Compiler'
"C:/Texas Instruments/ccsv4/tools/compiler/msp430/bin/cl430" -vmsp -g --define=__MSP430G2231__ --include_path="C:/Texas Instruments/ccsv4/msp430/include" --include_path="C:/Texas Instruments/ccsv4/tools/compiler/msp430/include" --diag_warning=225 --printf_support=minimal --preproc_with_compile --preproc_dependency="main.pp"  "../main.c"

INTERNAL ERROR: C:/Texas Instruments/ccsv4/tools/compiler/msp430/bin/cl430 experienced a segmentation fault while processing

This is a serious problem.  Please contact Customer
Support with this message and a copy of the input file
and help us to continue to make the tools more robust.

gmake: *** [main.obj] Error 2
gmake: Target `all' not remade because of errors.

Sometimes it compiles just fine. Often it doesn't. A clean sometimes seems to help, but not always.

Does anyone else have this problem? Do I need to install to a different location?

C:\Users\none>"C:/Texas Instruments/ccsv4/tools/compiler/msp430/bin/cl430.exe"
MSP430 Evaluation C/C++ Compiler        v3.3.1
Tools Copyright (c) 2003-2010 Texas Instruments Incorporated

hmm.. Contact TI support and file your ticket under compiler. Give them the code which is causing this. They will surely get back to you as its a seg fault in their compiler. They will surely get back to you as you get a ticket number.

That's probably not going to help them, as the problem is not specific to a piece of code. I might try to reinstall CCS.

Sometimes it compiles just fine. Often it doesn't.

Have you tried compiling the same code on a different PC?

If not, can you strip the code down to the minimal amount that replicates the problem and post it to the list for others to try?

I used to get that problem periodically, but not often. When I upgraded my computer, I had to reinstall everything, including CCS. It stopped after that. OS = Win 7 64 w/UAC enabled before and after upgrade. Are you using an old install of CCS that has been upgraded several times? That was the case for me when I used to see that error.

I'm with the others in suggesting uninstall/reinstall.

After setting 430cl to run as Administrator.. and restarting CCS due to ongoing problems debugging..

This project was created using a version of Code Generation tools that is not currently installed: 3.3.1 [MSP430]. Please install the Code Generation tools of this version, or migrate the project to one of the supported versions.

If anyone else needs to re-find the installer: the filename is setup_CCS_MC_Core.zip

http://processors.wiki.ti.com/index.php ... 4_Download

Ah, there it is mentioned.

http://processors.wiki.ti.com/index.php ... stallation

The installer warns about installing in \Program Files\ and not being able to run CCS with Default User priviliges. So I chose \ti. (see previous link).

Warns that workspace was built with previous version and needs to be "cleaned out".

It finds the projects and opens with last view layout.

Builds ok..

Well I hope it stays that way.

Debugging seems more responsive, but the error still comes up every few times..

PS: My installer is 4.2.1.0..04 update to 4.2.3.0..04 in progress. If this doesn't work I'll try to do a fresh install with the current image.

PPS: The updater downloads files kind of anonymously (relative path, filename displayed in update dialog, just numbers in file system):

C:\Users\\AppData\Local\Temp\eclipse\.update\123..\987..\eclipse456...tmp

>approx 300 MB

Instant segfault. Building seperate files lead to one file. Then, Css tried to build unrelated file.

Ok now I don't even get the odd completed build, totally random which module builds and which doesn't. The next time, one builds fine and another doesn't.

I'll try to reinstall the current image.

My hard drive crashed, and I'm working off a fresh install of Windows and CCS. Now I'm getting the error too! I'll reinstall CCS when I get around to it and let you know how it goes.

To clarify, CCS finds an update for GRACE but nothing else. So I wouldn't know if 3.3.3 works.

Unfortunately, Code Generation Tools is not an item in the feature list.

If somebody could check for their install or even better, tell me how to manually get Code Generation Tools into the updater?

Apparently one can add feature sources manually.