Jump to content
jing

Mac Homebrew formulas for GCC 4.9

Recommended Posts

I've been working on some homebrew formulas for using gcc 4.9 with the msp430. I've got some preliminary builds working (though I haven't had the chance to upload code to a board yet). They're available via my tap '8bitsofme/homebrew-msp430'.
 
I've been running into this issue where the 'make install' step fails, but if I repeat 'make install' everything seems to work out fine. I'm new to cross compiling. If anyone can guide me I'd love to fix this issue and try to get these formulas published in mainline homebrew.

 

https://github.com/8bitsofme/homebrew-msp430

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sweet, thanks. Can you help me understand why you build newlib outside of gcc? Also, how did you come to those configure flags?

The origin of the scripts was some combination of years of experience, the scripts to build the GCC for Embedded ARM toolchain, and advice from DJ Delorie on configuration for msp430 posted on the mspgcc users mailing list last spring. newlib (providing libc) is built outside gcc because the target runtime libraries of gcc have some dependencies on the libc that they will work with. The configure flags for everything except newlib are pretty straightforward; for newlib it was reading the available options and tuning to get something that balances functionality against code bloat.

 

Yes, that was where I posted the original versions. The only real difference should be in the newlib flags, and the surrounding traceability features. The upcoming release of BSP430 will incorporate full support for msp430-elf so I incorporated the script to build a compatible toolchain into it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

With your alterations everything compiles fine, but when make installing newlib I get an error on what looks like building a directory. I can ignore it and everything else finishes happily. I'd love to get that fixed. It seems to happen somewhere in install-target-newlib. Any ideas on how to track the error down?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If I just ask newlib to install-target-newlib and install-target-libgloss everything seems to work ok. Now i'm just polishing some Homebrew specific quirks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's all cleaned up and works great. Let me know if you have any trouble with it. Upstream homebrew did not accept the toolchain for inclusion, it'll continue to live in my tap at 8bitsofme/homebrew-msp430.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...