43oh

Bluetooth "Master" Device

Is there a Launchpad or boosterpack that not simply allows a computer or phone to connect and exchange data with it, but the device would also be able to initiate a connection to a Bluetooth device like a simply USB mouse or keyboard without a PC or phone involved.

In essence, the Bluetooth connection would be to a slave device like an input device, and the master or host would be the Launchpad or Boosterpak.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Is there a Launchpad or boosterpack that not simply allows a computer or phone to connect and exchange data with it, but the device would also be able to initiate a connection to a Bluetooth device like a simply USB mouse or keyboard without a PC or phone involved.

You're looking into doing a lot of Bluetooth programming for this task as it is quite specific to what you want to do. You're also looking to spend $50+ on this by the way. There are a few choices available:

- BLE112 with their custom BGScript that can act as both master and slave

- TI's CC2540/1 mini development kit, seeing how most BLE devices nowadays use CC2541, it might be wise to get the corresponding dev kit. You will be tied to using the full version of IAR though.

- CSR Bluecore4 - get BlueLab 4.1 and those HC-05, HC-06 modules. This path is the most difficult in my opinion as CSR doesn't provide as much support and documentation as TI, and also because Bluetooth 2.0 is quite old. But then you get to connect to a much bigger pool of devices.

I would recommend the BLE112. It's so much easier to work with than getting the CC dev kit. I went down the TI dev kit as I have access to a full version of IAR but the steep learning curve completely overthrow the lower cost per module advantage.

Could use USB host to control a bluetooth dongle.

This could be done using an MCU that has USB OTG/host built in (which might require more extensive programming to adapt the USB host code to the MCU), or using something like usb host shield (talks via SPI I believe - more expensive for the shield, and more parts involved, but might simplify the programming a bit, since host code already written for AVR/ARM).

http://blog.tkjelectronics.dk/2013/12/bluetooth-hid-devices-now-supported-by-the-usb-host-library/

Another example of adding USB host on MSP430 - Travis Goodspeed's Facedancer - 

http://goodfet.sourceforge.net/hardware/facedancer21/