43oh

Serial Communication with External Devices

I am having trouble getting an external serial GPS device (GY-GPS6MV2) to communicate with my CC3200.

I have this pin mapping set-up and I have connected pin 3 on the CC3200 to the TX pin of the GPS device.

I have uploaded code that should make a test light turn off if it is receiving data, but the light remains on unless I type into the serial monitor.

#define LED RED_LED

void setup() {
  pinMode(3, INPUT);
  pinMode(4, OUTPUT);
  Serial.begin(9600);
  pinMode(LED, OUTPUT);
  Serial.println("GPS Module");
}

void loop() {
  if (Serial.available()) {
    digitalWrite(LED, LOW);
    delay(100);

Serial.println((char)Serial.read());
  } else {
    digitalWrite(LED, HIGH);
  }
}

Please help!

• 1 month later...

I am trying to read sentences form the AdaFruit GPS Breakout based on the G.Top chip 

I am using the tip provided by Greeg - to get input from the GPS through the middle pin of J6. There appears to be stream of data but it is at the wrong baud rate which I do seem to be able to adjust. 

Is there another way to connect Rx & Tx to the GPS chip other than through J6 and J7. 

It all works fine on Arduino Mega 256 as this system has multiple Rx and Tx ports but on the CC3200 the only Rx/Tx  is also used to control the chip via the USB. 

Any suggestions appreciated.

Is there another way to connect Rx & Tx to the GPS chip other than through J6 and J7. 

It all works fine on Arduino Mega 256 as this system has multiple Rx and Tx ports but on the CC3200 the only Rx/Tx  is also used to control the chip via the USB. 

Any suggestions appreciated.

I think the CC3200 has 2 serial ports - could try Serial1, which according to the Pinout has RX on pin 10 (same as green LED).