43oh

The idea was the rats would roam around randomly.

Maybe you can add some intelligence to the rat-bots and have them run away from water sources (think flood), high vibration sources (think earthquakes) as well as adding a smell sensing module to detect sources of food.

Maybe you can add some intelligence to the rat-bots and have them run away from water sources (think flood), high vibration sources (think earthquakes) as well as adding a smell sensing module to detect sources of food.

Well, I do live in California so earthquakes are a strong possibility, but I'm not so sure about floods....

We are in a drought here.

Maybe you can add some intelligence to the rat-bots and have them run away from .... high vibration sources (think earthquakes)

Making them run towards vibration would be much more fun when you have screaming kids running around your porch to get away from them.  :laugh:

@@Fred - PIR and microphones were a thought, for a moment, where the 'rat' would pick up on motion, body heat or sound and aim for that. Overall, my front porch is about a meter and half wide, and maybe 8 meters long; not much room. Hence why I'd want some sort of 'edge' detection so the rats don't dive off the porch and into the front yard... although that would be cool if they could navigate in the grass. Still, it's about an 8 cm drop from the porch to the yard so that is a bit of an obstacle to traverse... at least to get back up on the porch.

Wife has yet to tell me the budget so my hopes aren't all that high. I'm already pushing things, ordering the flow sensors for the ESI project. ;)

My thoughts were a simple caster up front, maybe even a simple bump it scrapes on the ground, and two motors providing motion- differentially controlled so direction can be realized. Detecting the edge of the cement was a major sticking point though- the rats need time to stop and change direction, so they either have to move fairly slow, or maybe something else would signal they're getting close to the edge. Our cats don't go outside so we don't have those boundary wire / shock collars. :ph34r:

I'll probably start some 'pseudo' code soon, and maybe stop by the local Target and see what they have in the way of RC things. At least then, there'd be hope for somewhat powerful motors, and since my wife works there, we get discounts.