43oh

Would be interesting to see what numbers you're getting, but in either case, try this sketch to dump the raw output:

#include <SPI.h>

#define CS 18

void setup() {
  Serial.begin(115200);
  SPI.begin();
  pinMode(CS, OUTPUT);
  digitalWrite(CS, HIGH);

Serial.println("Begin...");

delay(500);
}

void loop() {
  byte b;
  int i;

Serial.print("Reading MAX31855: ");
  digitalWrite(CS, LOW);
  for (i=0; i < 4; i++) {
    b = SPI.transfer(0);
    Serial.print(b, HEX);
    Serial.print(' ');
  }
  Serial.println();
  digitalWrite(CS, HIGH);

delay(2000);
}

I can't recall the maximum SPI speed supported by the MAX31855, but if all else fails, SPI.setClockDivider(SPI_CLOCK_DIV16) should force it down to 1MHz I believe.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I think it's the pinMode() functions in the constructor. The GPIO peripheral modules haven't been activated by the time the C++ constructors execute so those pinMode's put the MCU into the Bus Error

@@Chuckymonkey - Try this little "patch", it's a zip file with 2 files that need to replace some files under Energia's install root (C:\energia-0101E0013 or wherever)   E13_cc3200_ctors_fix.zip  

It's almost like the chip is quitting.  If I unplug the sensor from the chip and then plug it back in it'll work, otherwise it just reads nothing.  What I mean by that is that it'll work for a little while and then it won't, if I remove the 5V it'll register the same as if I had not done anything.