43oh

Big problem with my Launchpad

• 4 months later...

I hope reviving older threads is acceptable here, but I wanted to take a moment to say that I encountered nearly the same problem with my launchpad. In my case, i did not supply an over voltage to the target side of the board, but tried to supply from the Vcc on the target side a board which apparently drew more current than the USB port or the launchpad could supply (a gameboy pocket main board, minus the lcd).

this dimmed the leds imediately, and i dicconnected the board within 1 second, but afterward the launchpad would not be recognized. I noticed between the usb connector and D1 what first looked to be scorching, but turned out to be a waxy substance. i cleaned this away and found no traces appearing to be burned. the area which had overheated did not persist in doing so afterward. i probed all the traces running through that area of the board for continuity, then tested the diode, tested all the resistors, tested U4 as per the functional diagram in the datasheet, which i believe checks out. No conclusion on the fault, but i believe it is the USB controller.

I monitored the bus in software with usb trace, and hot plugging showed no negotiation at all, which i suppose might reaffirm this speculation. I will probably replace my launchpad as soon as possible, but $5 is sometimes a lot of money to me, so I do not plan to stop troubleshooting it.

I hope this might offer insight for anybody suffering similar trouble, to have another documented backgroun resulting in this problem. of course it's always possible some debris shorted something as well, as i had the LP out in my metal shop, but it did not present when i first brought it in and resumed using it.

I hope reviving older threads is acceptable here

Yes. Should not be a problem at all. Unless it is an entirely different issue.

In my case, i did not supply an over voltage to the target side of the board, but tried to supply from the Vcc on the target side a board which apparently drew more current than the USB port or the launchpad could supply (a gameboy pocket main board, minus the lcd).

Was this 3.3V or 5V? You cannot supply the target side 5v as it goes directly to the MSP430 chip which can handle a max of 3.6V. I'm unsure what is the voltage requirement of the USB chip though.

Where around are you resided?

Hello,

My friend has faced the same problem. It was after me trying to get him to embedded design, that he bough his first MSP430 Launch Pad kit. But then it was not working in the same way as you said.

I suggested a simple route:

1. 1. Disconnect the LaunchPad board from the PC
    2. Remove the Socketed MCU
    3. Use capacious amounts of IP(Isopropyle Alcohol) to clean the LaunchPad on both sides. (Take care for ESD damage)
    4. Let is dry for some time till all the IP on the board has vaporized
    5. Now remove the All Programming jumpers on J3
    6. Connect the Board to PC
    1. a. Check it is being detected
      ->if so then one level of your problem is solved
      b. if not detected or as you said its getting heated up
      ->Only option is to buy a new board

7. If it was working then check for the voltage at the VCCpin of J3 and ground.

• -> If thats 3.0 - 3.29V then everything is alright.
    Place back the MSP430 in the socket and the jumpers on J3
    You can get back to business and have a happy time with MSP430.

Hope that this helps.

yes, that was the target side (3.5V). I did not supply it with 5v from the usb side of the tps77301.

i already took some isopropanol and a toothbrush to the board. i gingerly ran a fine pick between all IC pins on the FET side of the board to make sure nothing which might have been missed in the cleaning bridged any pins.

i'm starting to suspect the tps77301 regulator, and getting flaky behavior at the target end. a fraction of the time i plug the board in i get several hertz blinking of the led on p1.0, and corresponding interruption (cutting out) of the PWM the current program generates by p1.6. other times, it flickers very rapidly (~1kHz according to my multimeter), and sometimes stabilizes within a second or so. sometimes the program fails to turn on the outputs at all.

i barely know what i'm doing, so i am of course just speculating.

the voltage requirement for the tusb3410 chip is >3.6v

I am in California, in the US.

• 4 weeks later...

I have not been able to fix the borken one. I wanted to update to let everybody know that I was able to replace my Launchpad. I bought two just in case.

In the spirit of community that this forum has shown me, and because it's the Holiday season, I would offer to help out. If somebody else here knows what it's like not to be able to come up with $5 for equipment and needs a launchpad, please let me know. Limited to places that TI will ship.