43oh

New Dev Platform for MSP430FR5969

@@greeeg - you are the man.

So - I was counting on CCS to update the firmware and it was erroring out without attempting to fix anything.  I was able to flash the BSL firmware using flasher, but every time I tried to flash the FW_3_3_0_6 firmware it failed verification.  So - I tried flashing only the BSL_1_1 firmware.  Then I plugged the ezFET into USB and tried erasing the target using MSPFlasher.  That's when it did this:

c:\ti\MSP430Flasher_1.3.2>MSP430Flasher.exe -e ERASE_ALL
* -----/|-------------------------------------------------------------------- *
*     / |__                                                                   *
*    /_   /   MSP430 Flasher v1.3.2                                           *
*      | /                                                                    *
* -----|/-------------------------------------------------------------------- *
* Evaluating triggers...done
* Checking for available FET debuggers:
* Corrupted USB FET firmware detected. Starting recovery.
* *  Initializing Update Bootloader.
* *  Programming new firmware:
* *  |||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||| 100%
* *  Update was successfully finished.

* *  Exit Update Bootlader and reboot firmware.
* USB FET recovery completed.* Found USB FET @ COM3. <- Selected

YAY!!  Then it proceeded to do a firmware update

* Initializing interface @ COM3...done
* Checking firmware compatibility:
* The firmware of your FET is outdated.
- Would you like to update it? (Y/N): y

* *  Initializing Update Bootloader.
* *  Programming new firmware:
* *  |||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||| 100%
* *  Update was successfully finished.

* *  Exit Update Bootlader and reboot firmware.
* FET firmware is up to date.

Double YAY!  Now it works fine with both MSP430Flasher and CCS - everything is A-ok.

So I guess the key is to flash the BSL and let the programmers do the rest.  I haven't checked if I can just flash the BSL and use CCS to update the firmware the first time, but at least I have a working procedure.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi Guys,   My name is Nathan.  I've lurked around here on 43oh a bit, but this is my first official post.  I've been working with the MSP430FR5969 for several months now and I've quickly grown to re

Hi guys.  It's been awhile since we've posted on this project, but progress has been steadily moving on.  We're working with the Rev 3 prototypes at this point and I think we're pretty close to a fina

@@spirilis - Right now the processor module has standard 0.1" headers so you can pop it on a breadboard.  We could use smaller, but the limiting factor for size is the CR2032 anyway.  IO includes 14 d

Posted Images

@@nathancrum Glad to see everything is working. I would be interesting in using this product. eventually :D

I too have had trouble getting CCS to perform the FW update. glad that we have tools like MSPdebug and MSPFlasher that are cross platform and can successfully do it.

FW_3_3_0_6 while technically it SHOULD update to newest, it might just be too far a jump. obviously something isn't going right.

Programming just the BSL definitely sounds like the best way to go, that way it's instantly upgraded to the newest version.

I too have had trouble getting CCS to perform the FW update. glad that we have tools like MSPdebug and MSPFlasher that are cross platform and can successfully do it.

I also like that because the source is available I keep multiple versions installed if necessary, something that's probably hard to make CCS do. I'm a bit concerned by the comment somebody made somewhere that the original EXP430FR5969LP would not work with the latest MSPDebug stack that fully supports energy trace, which suggests the new EXP430FR5969LP might not work with the old MSPDebug stack.

I too am looking forward to trying this new platform.

• 1 month later...

Hi guys,

We've been playing with the prototypes for a few weeks now and wanted to start adding support for our board in Energia and...after some searching, it's not at all clear if that's possible right now.  I will keep looking, but figured I should post here for now since someone probably knows the answer, "Is is possible to add new processor boards to Energia via text configuration files?"  ...or is it more complicated?

I got as far as writing a pins file before realizing this was not sufficient to totally describe the board.  The Storm Ninja is "hardware-compatible" with the FR5969 Launchpad (same processor & ezFet lite programmer), but the pin numbering is very different (different ports used, different pins for LED, more pins, etc.)

pins_energia.h

Storm Ninja Energia Pins.pdf

We've been playing with the prototypes for a few weeks now and wanted to start adding support for our board in Energia and...after some searching, it's not at all clear if that's possible right now.  I will keep looking, but figured I should post here for now since someone probably knows the answer, "Is is possible to add new processor boards to Energia via text configuration files?"  ...or is it more complicated?

While it has fewer users and targets a different audience than Energia, I'd meant to ask if you'd like your board supported by BSP430. I also use a couple mapping text file per platform and a couple cloned headers, so it's pretty easy. I'd do it in trade for a couple ready-to-use boards. Send me a direct message if you're interested.

@@pabigot - We definitely would like to get some demos in the hands of people that can put them to use, but we don't have many prototypes yet.  I think there's probably something we can work out though.  BSP430 also looks really cool - we'd love to have the Storm Ninja supported there too.

Regarding Energia - I was still hoping to figure it out myself so I knew where everything was located.  If someone could either list the files or point me towards the documentation that would be awesome.  I don't mind doing the work - I'm just a little lost.  As I mentioned - I think I have the pins file figured out, but I don't know what other files tells Energia about the targets.

Thanks

Hey guys,  just wanted to say we got it figured out today.  Storm Ninja prototypes program just fine with energia and the pins I tested so far seem to work.

Here are my notes for getting a bare Energia 13 installation working with Storm Ninja (and with the 5969 for that matter which doesn't work without a dll update)

boards.txt contains high level processor speed protocol etc. under hardware/msp430
an entry duplicateing the lpmsp430fr5969 entry is required to add a new variant.
then the prefix should be changed from lpmsp430fr5969 to stormninja
additionally the line xxx.build.variant should be changed to a folder name for the new variant in our case storm_ninja_p2
under hardware/msp430/variants create a new folder named as above
place the 5969 board.mk file and the new custom pins_energia.h file in this folder
when you next start energia it will have the entry for the new board option.
---- boards.txt exerpt

##############################################################
lpmsp430fr5969.name=LaunchPad w/ msp430fr5969
lpmsp430fr5969.upload.protocol=tilib
lpmsp430fr5969.upload.maximum_size=65536
lpmsp430fr5969.build.mcu=msp430fr5969
#lpmsp430fr5969.build.f_cpu=16000000L
lpmsp430fr5969.build.f_cpu=8000000L
lpmsp430fr5969.build.core=msp430
lpmsp430fr5969.build.variant=launchpad_fr5969
lpmsp430fr5969.upload.maximum_ram_size=1024

stormninja.name=Storm Ninja p2
stormninja.upload.protocol=tilib
stormninja.upload.maximum_size=65536
stormninja.build.mcu=msp430fr5969
#stormninja.build.f_cpu=16000000L
stormninja.build.f_cpu=8000000L
stormninja.build.core=msp430
stormninja.build.variant=storm_ninja_p2
stormninja.upload.maximum_ram_size=1024

-----

variants/pin definition files is required.

---

"Once you have downloaded and installed it, you need to open two folders. One is the MSP430Flasher install directory (click the pictures to the right for a larger size), the other is the mspdebug directory inside the Energia install directory. The pictures to the right show the paths on my computer.

Once you find the two directories you want to copy HIL.dll and MSP430.dll from MSP430Flasher into Energia's mspdebug directory. Backing up Energia's copies of those two files isn't a bad idea, I created a directory called "OEM" and moved the originals into it, then copied the new HIL and MSP430 dlls.

Once you have copied those two files, re-open Energia (if you didn't close it before, close it and re-open it) and run Update Programmer again. Instead of throwing errors it should happily update the remaining piece of firmware. If you feel like being sure, run it again and make sure it's happy that time too."
  • 3 weeks later...

FYI - We've also forked the Energia github and have pushed these changes already.  Hopefully we can resolve the driver issues in the future, but for now it's functioning separately.

https://github.com/ApparentlyConnected/Energia

We've also started adding libraries for our Shurikens (daughter boards) like the Sharp 128x128px LS013B7DH03 Memory LCD.  On deck are the bluetooth (Microchip RN4020) and WiFi (Microchip RN171) modules.

post-38251-0-26774300-1418794236_thumb.jpg

Unfortunately the existing libraries like SPI aren't abstracted enough to be cross compatible (we're using different UARTs, pins, etc) so some more work will need to be done to either make them universal or port for the FR5969 LP and other MSP430's, but it shouldn't take much to make them useful for anyone who wants to use these peripherals with Energia.

• 2 weeks later...

FYI - made some more progress on the Energia graphics library and have added a bitmap interpreter for the TI Image Reformer tool in the MSP430 graphics library package.  Adding any custom image to a project just got a lot easier. (edit) And I am loving this screen - the contrast is awesome.

@@bluehash Thanks - we're already having fun playing with it and really impressed with the Sharp LS013B7DH03.  The mirrory finish on the 96px one from the BoosterPack is sort of a novelty, but the contrast on the 128px H03 is much nicer on the eyes overall.

Next I'm working on a Bluetooth LE shuriken and Android app and @@Patrick is working on a WiFi expansion and internet upload.  Weeeee!

• 4 months later...

Hi guys.  It's been awhile since we've posted on this project, but progress has been steadily moving on.  We're working with the Rev 3 prototypes at this point and I think we're pretty close to a final product.  Patrick is going to be out at the Bay Area Maker Faire next week showing them off.

We're also trying to upload stuff as it's stable to github - a few demo projects and an Android app for bluetooth:

https://github.com/ApparentlyConnected

Shurikens (daughterboards) have expanded now to include a sensor board (RGB, accel & temp), a relay board, an AC rectifier board for use with a current clamp in addition to newer revisions of the LCD, Wifi, and BTLE shurikens.

What kind of demo projects do you guys think would be best to show off the FRAM and low power capabilities of the MSP430FR5969?  Or what demos would you just like to show how it works?

/Nathan

post-38251-0-32787900-1430883027_thumb.png

post-38251-0-86432100-1430883028_thumb.png

post-38251-0-70048400-1430883029_thumb.png

post-38251-0-58083600-1430883030_thumb.png

post-38251-0-44771100-1430883031_thumb.png

post-38251-0-09652500-1430883032_thumb.png

post-38251-0-91301200-1430883032_thumb.png

post-38251-0-75046800-1430883033_thumb.png