Sign in to follow this  
pjkim

MSP-FET with Energia, mspdebug, or virtualized CCS6?

I received my MSP-FET yesterday-- thank you TI! I was so excited to try out everything. I was deflated to find out that my package only contained the programmer-- hopefully the target board and MSP430FR6989s will arrive soon. It almost felt like Christmas morning-- only to find out the batteries were not included!

I wanted to test out my new toy so I hooked up the MSP-FET to some MSP430 chips I hand nearby. I hooked up the MSP-FET to a MSP430G2231 and started Energia on Mac OS X 10.9.4. Although the MSP-FET is seen by the OS, I can't seem to connect to it. On System Info, the vendor/product ID are 0x2047/0x0014 with a description of "MSP Tools Driver."

Here are my issues

1) Energia can't connect. If I use File -> Upload, or File -> Upload using programmer, I get "usbutil: unable to find a device matching 0451:f432"

2) If I use mspdebug, I can't connect using tilib or uif.

$ mspdebug --usb-list
Devices on bus 250:
    250:006 2047:0014  [serial: EFF2blahblah]
    250:005 05ac:0245 
    250:002 0424:2513 
    250:001 05ac:8006 
Devices on bus 253:
    253:001 05ac:8006

$ mspdebug tilib
MSPDebug version 0.22 - debugging tool for MSP430 MCUs
Copyright (C) 2009-2013 Daniel Beer <dlbeer@gmail.com>
This is free software; see the source for copying conditions.  There is NO
warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.

MSP430_GetNumberOfUsbIfs
No unused FET found.

$mspdebug uif  
MSPDebug version 0.22 - debugging tool for MSP430 MCUs
Copyright (C) 2009-2013 Daniel Beer <dlbeer@gmail.com>
This is free software; see the source for copying conditions.  There is NO
warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.

usbutil: unable to find a device matching 0451:f430

I tried specifying the USB device by adding -U 250:006 but no improvement. Does mspdebug v 0.22 not work with the MSP-FET? Is this a libmsp430.so issue? I was using the one supplied with the latest version of Energia (E0013).

3) If I run CCS6 under VirtualBox, things sort of work. When I start a debug session, I get a message

"Error initializing emulator:

A firmware update is required for the MSP430 Debug Interface (MSP-FET430UIF / MSP-FET / eZ-FET). Click the "Update" button to update the firmware and launch your debug session (this may require several update steps).

DO NOT UNPLUG THE INTERFACE DURING THE UPDATE."

If I click UPDATE, the MSP-FET gets bjorked. Probably because of the way virtualbox hands off USB devices between host and guest OSs. I am thinking the USB VID and/or PID are being altered during the update. Regardless, things don't work afterwards and I can't seem to unbjork things without using a physical Windows computer running CCS6. The physical WIndows computer can update the MSP-FET firmware. Curious thing is that after updating the firmware, CCS6 running on virtualized Windows, still wants to upgrade the firmware with the same message above.

If on the other hand, I choose the button to IGNORE the firmware update, things start OK and I can start a debug session. Problem is that sometimes I get a error message "MSP430: Trouble Halting Target CPU: Internal error." Things don't work so well afterwards but nothing that a unplug, replug won't fix.

4) I know the MSP-FET is working OK because if I use it on a physical Windows machine, I can program a device, set breakpoints, stop/resume, see energy usage, etc. It works flawlessly. It's a bit disappointing I can't seem to get it to work with mspdebug or virtualized Windows running CCS6.

Is mspdebug running natively on OSX? You might need to use

sudo mspdebug tilib --allow-fw-update

The sudo is required because the USB re-enumerates when it is FW update more, and you might not have permissions set to allow access to it.

What virtualisation program are you using? is there an option to entirely pass through a USB device, you might have to set this option for the FW-update (BSL) vend/prod IDs.

It seems the driver for the MSP430 on OS X isn't on par with those for Windows and Linux. 

I can deal with the MSP430F55239 successfully, but not with the MSP430FR5969.

See ticket #418 MSP430FR5969 Firmware Update for Mac OS X and Windows.

Are you sure this is the same issue?

@@pjkim said he was connecting to a G series, that would easily be supported by all debug stack (msp430.so) versions

I hooked up the MSP-FET to a MSP430G2231 and started Energia on Mac OS X 10.9.4.

Yes but the MSP-FET isn't supported by the very-old version of libmsp430.so shipping with Energia. Your Virtualbox install might work so long as you make sure it passes the MSP-FET's USB BSL (used for upgrades) VID/PID through as well: VID=0x2047, PID=0x0204

Sent from my Galaxy Note II with Tapatalk 4

Is mspdebug running natively on OSX? You might need to use

sudo mspdebug tilib --allow-fw-update

The sudo is required because the USB re-enumerates when it is FW update more, and you might not have permissions set to allow access to it.

What virtualisation program are you using? is there an option to entirely pass through a USB device, you might have to set this option for the FW-update (BSL) vend/prod IDs.

No difference with sudo. I am running the latest version of VirtualBox.

I updated virtualized CCS6 to latest version (6.0 to 6.0.1.00040. It was somewhat of an ordeal because of how I deleted/uninstalled CCS5.5 previously. I had to reinstall CCS5.5 and then run the uninstaller before CCS6 would update). After updating CCS6, it no longer wants to update the firmware-- it now configures the debugger correctly when I start a debug session. I assume there was a change in the MSP-FET driver from 6.0 to 6.0.1.

Problem is that I am still getting the "MSP430: Trouble Halting Target CPU: Internal error" followed by a "MSP430: JTAG Communication Error" message.

Yes but the MSP-FET isn't supported by the very-old version of libmsp430.so shipping with Energia. Your Virtualbox install might work so long as you make sure it passes the MSP-FET's USB BSL (used for upgrades) VID/PID through as well: VID=0x2047, PID=0x0204

Looking for a more up to date version of libmsp430.so. I found http://brandonlucia.com/Building_MSPDebug_TILIB_On_OSX.txt which makes me think it is going to be more trouble than it's worth.

I received the target board and MSP430FR6989s yesterday. After figuring out how to seat the chips in the ZIF holder (took an embarrassingly long time), I hooked it up to the MSP-FET. I was hoping in the back of my mind that the "MSP430: Trouble Halting Target CPU: Internal error" messages would go away when I switched to full JTAG from Spy-Bi Wire. No such luck. I am still getting the error messages.

Trying to track this down, I tried installing the latest MSP430.dll drivers from http://processors.wiki.ti.com/index.php/MSP430_JTAG_Interface_USB_Driver

CCS6.0.1 is supposed to have the latest drivers from what I can tell, but the file sizes of the alread-installed and downloaded (v3.4.2.7) were different. I replaced both MSP430.dll and MSP430v3.dll in the ti\ccsv6\ccs_base\DebugServers\drivers folder. I got the "Error initializing" message again and I chose update firmware. It completed correctly this time but afterwards, same error with "MSP430: Trouble Halting Target CPU: Internal error."

This might be more effort than it's worth depending if you've got Xcode/macports installed.

But you could try compiling mspdebug, and libmsp430.so (unix version of MSP430.dll) and use the FET from native OSX, It's likely the errors you're receiving are due to your virtualisation setup.