43oh

Programming the MSP430FR5969

Hi All,

I am trying to program a standalone MSP430FR5969 via spy-bi-wire. From my understanding, the MSP-EXP430G2 launchpad can program any MSP430 device with spy-bi-wire (please correct me if I am wrong). However, I am getting the message of "Could not find device (or device not supported)".

Being frustrated and isolating the project for two weeks, I decided to replace the device (which is really a pity as the soldering quality of the first job is much nicer). I am still getting the same message. I tried another launchpad and same thing happened.

Then I got curious and tried using the MSP-EXP430FR5739 and the results are slightly different. It got stuck at "Erasing memory" and the process fails. It is quite surprising to me as the emulation part of the two launchpad look very similar.

May I ask if anyone have programmed the MSP430FR5969 successfully? Or if there are any advice for me? I don't really wish to buy the MSP-EXP430FR5969 if necessary. Thank you in advance.

The programmer firmware on those old launchpad boards probably doesn't know what to do with the new energy trace FRAM chips. I have successfully programmed a standalone MSP430FR5959 with an MSP-EXP430F5529LP. I've used both CCS 6 and mspdebug with linux.

Are you running the lastest mspdebug? If not, what are you using to try and program it?

-rick

The MSP430G launchpads have a horrible old FET interface. It only officially supports the G series (but some older ones not even that).

The F5529LP and the FR5969LP feature a newer much more advanced FET which supports being updated by the PC to support new ICs.

One thing to note is that because your target is an FR chip it cant and doesn't require being erased before programming. Can you successfully program your target with the 5969LP?

Per http://www.ti.com/lit/ug/slau278s/slau278s.pdf (look at page 12), the only device(s) supporting F6xxx devices are the MSP-FET, MSP-FET430UIF and MSP-FET430PIF. The PIF is being discontinued so that leaves two programmers.

That's not to say the FR5969LP won't do it, but it's not listed on the table in the above PDF despite it being revised 9/2014.

It might also be worth noting the latest MSP Debug does not support FR6989 devices older than revision "C".

Thanks all for the inputs!

The programmer firmware on those old launchpad boards probably doesn't know what to do with the new energy trace FRAM chips. I have successfully programmed a standalone MSP430FR5959 with an MSP-EXP430F5529LP. I've used both CCS 6 and mspdebug with linux.

Are you running the lastest mspdebug? If not, what are you using to try and program it?

-rick

I have only tried CCS 5 and 6. I think I have a MSP-EXP430F5529LP lying around but I can't seem to find it...

The MSP430G launchpads have a horrible old FET interface. It only officially supports the G series (but some older ones not even that).

The F5529LP and the FR5969LP feature a newer much more advanced FET which supports being updated by the PC to support new ICs.

One thing to note is that because your target is an FR chip it cant and doesn't require being erased before programming. Can you successfully program your target with the 5969LP?

Thanks for reminding me about the erasing part. Now it sounds weird about CCS attempting to erase the device. I don't have a 5969LP for now.

Surely a FR5969LP would be a worthwhile investment? It will definitely work for programming and debugging your existing board, and if you want to try anything else out you have something ideal for doing some prototyping.

You are probably right...probably will consider it during the next sale.

Per http://www.ti.com/lit/ug/slau278s/slau278s.pdf (look at page 12), the only device(s) supporting F6xxx devices are the MSP-FET, MSP-FET430UIF and MSP-FET430PIF. The PIF is being discontinued so that leaves two programmers.

That's not to say the FR5969LP won't do it, but it's not listed on the table in the above PDF despite it being revised 9/2014.

It might also be worth noting the latest MSP Debug does not support FR6989 devices older than revision "C".

I have seen that document before sometime back but I have been able to program other devices (F2274 and F5172 for example) using the MSP-EXP430G2 launchpad and I admit I have kind of took it for granted that spy-bi-wire is pretty much standard.

Or could it be those devices with >64kb address space (I think they have a different processor core? 20 instead of 16 bits of address length) that are incompatible? 

Or could it be those devices with >64kb address space (I think they have a different processor core? 20 instead of 16 bits of address length) that are incompatible?

That's possible, that some MSP430 devices can't program MSP430's with extended memory, as you've noted 20 versus 16 bit addressing.

The MSP-FET has an MSP430F6638 in it, which has 256KB FLASH, and therefore able to use 20 bit addressing, like the F5529 does, so perhaps it's the extended memory thing you mention causing the issue with the G2.

I've used the G2 launchpad with the msp430f5529, so 20 bit stuff works fine. The problem is that the older g2 programmer doesn't know about the new devices. There was a thread a while back over on e2e talking about this:

http://e2e.ti.com/support/microcontrollers/msp430/f/166/p/254008/897717.aspx#897717

-rick

I can confirm that the MSP-EXP430F5529LP works. Thanks rick!

I have a quick off-topic question which I hope you all don't mind I post here. I have a N channel MOSFET controlling the -ve side of the LED. Gate directly to IO pin. +ve side of LED to 3V. -ve side of LED to drain and source to GND. When IO is high, the LED lights up brightly as expected but when low, it is dim but on. Source of MOSFET reads ~0.4V. Couldn't get it to completely turn off even by shorting gate to GND. What are the possibilities here? Sorry if it is too obvious and thank you in advance.

I have a quick off-topic question which I hope you all don't mind I post here. I have a N channel MOSFET controlling the -ve side of the LED. Gate directly to IO pin. +ve side of LED to 3V. -ve side of LED to drain and source to GND. When IO is high, the LED lights up brightly as expected but when low, it is dim but on. Source of MOSFET reads ~0.4V. Couldn't get it to completely turn off even by shorting gate to GND. What are the possibilities here? Sorry if it is too obvious and thank you in advance.

So the schematic is basically:

post-26656-0-40516000-1410709751_thumb.jpg

MOSFET's have drain-source leakage current, known as IDSS I believe, and I think this is what you're seeing.

I can confirm that the MSP-EXP430F5529LP works. Thanks rick!

Thats good. Do you have a model nber for the MOSFET. If its not classed as a having a logic level gate, it is possible it requires a negative gate signal to disable it completely.

So the schematic is basically:

attachicon.gifmosfet_led.jpg

MOSFET's have drain-source leakage current, known as IDSS I believe, and I think this is what you're seeing.

Thanks for the schematic. If that is true, then the leakage looks awfully large.

Thats good. Do you have a model nber for the MOSFET. If its not classed as a having a logic level gate, it is possible it requires a negative gate signal to disable it completely.

Here is the link to the datasheet:

http://www.nxp.com/documents/data_sheet/PMV16UN.pdf

l should probably swap all the N channel MOSFETs on my board to another model.

Thanks for the schematic. If that is true, then the leakage looks awfully large.

Leakage from the data sheet shows micro-ampere range. That shouldn't light up a LED. You mentioned that you've connected LED (-) to drain and then source to GND, but then say the source was measured as 0.4v?

Did you mean to say you measured the drain, Vds?