43oh

TI and Temboo partner for IoT

From: http://e2e.ti.com/group/launchyourdesign/b/blog/archive/2014/09/10/ti-and-temboo-are-building-the-internet-of-things.aspx

Temboo now comes bundled into the latest release of the Energia IDE, meaning that you can use Temboo to turn connected LaunchPads into multifunctional, intelligent IoT devices!

Temboo is a service that uses virtualized code to put the power of the cloud inside connected devices such as MCUs, SoCs, and gateways. With a Library of over 2000 ready-to-run processes (called Choreos) that connect to more than 100 APIs, databases, and code utilities, it

Temboo support on LaunchPad is one of the coolest things I've seen in a while! The Energia team & the TI LaunchPad team have been working closely with Temboo to bring this user experience to the low-cost LaunchPad family of kits!

Through the Temboo website, you can GENERATE (!!!) Energia sketches for interacting with hundreds of web services, which you can ultimately flash to your cloud-connected LaunchPad. Temboo currently supports the CC3200 WiFi LaunchPad as well as the CC3100 BoosterPack when paired with an Energia-supported LaunchPad (i.e. MSP430F5529 LaunchPad, TM4C123 LaunchPad, etc).

As an example, Temboo can generate code to do the following (among other things):

• Enable your LaunchPad to append a new row in a google spreadsheet for datalogging sensor readings
  • Let your LaunchPad know when a tracking number on Fedex.com is updated
  • Get the number of steps you have taken with your fitbit
  • Get weather information from yahoo.com
  • Have your LaunchPad send you a text message/SMS using web services like Twilio
  • Have your LaunchPad call you (along with text to speech) to vocalize sensor readings, strings, etc. You can even respond back to your LaunchPad by dialing a number

Powerful stuff! You can learn more @ www.temboo.com/hardware/ti 

Adrian

This is cool. I signed up immediately!

Are you compelled to use Energia or could we use CSS as well?

Edit: At first glance, it looks like it's Energia all the way.

The Temboo Energia Sketches can be imported into CCS for the TivaC and F5529 LaunchPad's. CC3200 Sketch import will be available in a future release of CCS.

Yup - Energia all the way! However, you can always import into CCS.... but yes, it leverages the Energia abstraction & libraries.

This is cool. I signed up immediately!

Are you compelled to use Energia or could we use CSS as well?

Edit: At first glance, it looks like it's Energia all the way.

Hi all!

Here's a quick video I put together to demonstrate the LaunchPad + CC3100 WiFi BoosterPack working with Temboo and one of the services that Temboo supports. Pretty slick!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NStq1KB4FS8

In short, the service that I'm using is Nexmo. They provide a few REST APIs that our LaunchPad can interface with for triggering voice calls. In addition, Nexmo can also return back to the LaunchPad any user input on the keypad of the phone.

In this example, I trigger a phone call when my LaunchPad detects water with a moisture sensor. Through the Temboo site, I was able to generate the appropriate API call to have the LaunchPad call my cell phone & vocalize the following string: "Hello Adrian, your sensor changed value. Press 1 to take an action on your LaunchPad, or press 0 to ignore."

At that point, we can press 1 or 0 on the phone's numberpad. Nexmo returns the value back to the LaunchPad & I am able to turn an LED on when the number 1 is returned.

Cool stuff.

THANKS to the folks @ Temboo and to all of the contributors to the Energia project! It's pretty amazing what we can do with ~$30 of hardware...

I did a quick test with the CC3200 Launchpad. Created a twitter "choreo" and ran the auto generated code from Temboo. Result.

Although twitter does not allow the same message to be posted as a duplicate.. errors out. It would be good to pass a string generated in Energia to Temboo's choreo.

So far I like it.. It will be awesome to join choreos together.