43oh

STMicroelectronics EFL700A39 Rechargeable 200um Paper Thin Battery

There was a company called "Infinite Power Solutions" that used to make a battery like this, and which pioneered the technology.  Actually, the technology was pioneered at Oak Ridge National Laboratory, but the guy from Oak Ridge founded IPS.  IPS raised enough money to build a nice factory in Colorado (I've been there!), but things didn't really work out for them.

For ST to license the tech from Oak Ridge and then to spend 3 years developing it (this project has been going for 3 years, but you couldn't buy it until now), indicates to me that they have some particular customer in mind.  Maybe the ESA or something like that.

My opinion of the Lithium-Thin-Film battery is that Li-Poly technology is very nearly as good, at this point, and it is a whole-lot cheaper.  For doing energy harvesting, ST is also releasing SPV1050, which competes with the BQ25504 from TI, but it is a lot cheaper.  Both of these chips work to charge Li-Poly AND Lithium-Thin-Film batteries from sources like solar, piezo, etc. I have tested all these combinations  :smile:

Hi  jpnorair

seems you have lots of insights about this thin film ...I also tested ADP5090 with it, it works great!   besides the price,  the battery itself also felt rigid and not likely  bend easily. a little bit disappointed on the battery.

do you know any  Li-Poly Thin-Film battery which is more flexible and cheaper?

Hi  jpnorair

seems you have lots of insights about this thin film ...I also tested ADP5090 with it, it works great!   besides the price,  the battery itself also felt rigid and not likely  bend easily. a little bit disappointed on the battery.

do you know any  Li-Poly Thin-Film battery which is more flexible and cheaper?

"Lithium Thin Film" is a technology, not a description (this is confusing).  It uses semiconductor manufacturing techniques to build the lithium ion battery onto a silicon substrate, so it is not flexible.  Lithium polymer technology builds the battery on a polymer substrate.  The distributor Powerstream (powerstream.com) is the best place to look for LiPoly, and I believe they distribute some thin, flexible models of LiPoly.

"Lithium Thin Film" is a technology, not a description (this is confusing).  It uses semiconductor manufacturing techniques to build the lithium ion battery onto a silicon substrate, so it is not flexible.  Lithium polymer technology builds the battery on a polymer substrate.  The distributor Powerstream (powerstream.com) is the best place to look for LiPoly, and I believe they distribute some thin, flexible models of LiPoly.

thanks for the clarification!   I also interested in Thin film flexible PV cell, do you have any suggestions?

thanks for the clarification!   I also interested in Thin film flexible PV cell, do you have any suggestions?

Flexible PV is hard to buy in low quantity.  Panasonic/Sanyo is a major supplier, but you need to be a quantity buyer.  Their product line is called "Amorton."  ST is supposed to be ready soon with its own flexible PV line, but I expect it will also have quantity restrictions.