43oh

Hello!

I was wondering if anyone would be able to help me with starting off with the Msp430 Launchpad, as I just got it less than an hour ago and i uploaded "blink" onto it using Energia. I was wondering if anyone could provide a link/give me a course on programming with Energia, but please bear in mind that i am only 14 :smile: . And how do the "pins" in a sketch copied from Arduino correspond to those on the Launchpad? Would Pin0 on Arduino be Pin1.0 on Launchpad?

you can contact me at eshanwells@gmail.com

hope to hear from you (43oh community) soon!

Short

@@Shortcircuit - Welcome to 43oh!

There is no direct correlation between Arduino pins and MSP430 pins. What you have to determine is 'what' the Arduino pins are being used for, such as readling an analog sensor or toggling an LED or such, then select comparable pins on the MSP430 LaunchPad. There are diagrams of the various LP boards and pins over on http://energia.nu; look in the right hand column under "Board Instructions and Pin Mapping" for your board.

Note that some Arduino sketches and libraries may not work correctly without some occasionally serious tweaks, and also note that many shields for Arduino use 5 volt signals, and these are not compatible with the MSP430 devices since those run at 3.3v on the LaunchPads so some sort of voltage level shifting / translation needs to be done for those to work.

Do check out the Energia section here and feel free to ask any questions you'd like.

Welcome to the forum!

Always happy to see young talent joining the ranks.  As @@abecedarian mentioned, both http//energia.nu and the Energia forum on this board are great resources.  For the Launchpad itself you may want to visit some of these sites:

http://www.ti.com/ww/en/launchpad/launchpad.html?DCMP=mcu-launchpad&HQS=launchpad

http://www.ti.com/tool/msp-exp430g2

http://processors.wiki.ti.com/index.php/MSP430_LaunchPad_Tutorials

There is a lot more out there but this should help you get started.  Have fun and don't hesitate to ask questions.

Background on how these boards are setup, and why:

At the physical level, there is an IC, packaged in a plastic block to protect it, with pins coming out. Most processors have more than one configuration for how thephysical pins are connected to the logical construct we talk to with software.

Some devices, like the arduino, tend to group the pins on the board by functional capability, even when the underlying IC does not... the designer routes the wires to make locical sense for the user. The programming platform may support the labeling, or may not. Often, there is a choice, though it may be buried a bit.

Other devices, like the 430G series launchpad, bring the IC pins out with no rearrangement. You need to understand the relation between the capabilities of each pin, the physical location, and what you want to do. If you want or need a particular grouping by function, then you may need to do this yourself.

Neither model is better. They both have advantages. Most of the time, it make no real difference.

The MSP430, like most devices designed for embedded use, has a number of different options for the function of each pin. Some are directly accessed through the ports, others, like the A/D, the PWM outputs, and various hardware supported communication schemes, are accessed by giving control of the physical pin to the device in question (via software, during thedevice setup). Even with Energia, you still need to be aware of these options, as sometimes you need to make a choice as to what peripheral will be used, or which pins are used for what when there is overlap between options. Arduino requires fewer of these choices, at the expense of less flexibility in some ways.

The design intent is a little different, as the Arduino is meant to be a unit product, used as-is. The 430launchpad is meant t wither be standalone, or used as a development board/programmer/debugger for other end products. You can pull the 430 from the launchpad (430g launchpad, that is) and put it in your own circuit, needing nothing more than a resistor and capacitor. Both are heavily used in the education market (as well as a number of other products). I am not a big Arduino fan. THe price is high and performace doesn't match. It does serve a purpose, and makes many things easier for a beginner. Once past a certain point, there are bounds that become a hinderance, in my opinion.

Key place the msp430 shines, compared to many other options, is low power/battery powered aplications. There are oher options that have become competative in the last few years, but the 430 has a lot of resources for a student.

One thing that you will need to do, Energia or not, is understand a little about the underlying hardware. Energia makes it easier to do many things, but sometimes you need to do things it can't on the platform, even though the platform is capable of doing it. To use the resources Energia provides efficiently, you still need ome understanding of the underlying structure, and can develop that as you grow with the system-- a deep study of the hardware intricacies isnot a pre-requisite.