43oh

ESI Project: Laser coolant monitor

I must look at the 3-sensor LC example to see if that yields anything interesting.

Aaaaarrrrggh! I wish I hadn't. This just confuses me. It seems that you can switch the PSM to use a 3-bit input rather than 2-bit input, by clearing ESIV2SEL. That seems OK. However, attempting to decode the PSM table for this is just not making any sense. I'm now worried that I may have oversimplified things earlier and got it working more by luck than understanding. The family user guide (slau367e) is definitely not helping.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My TS430PZ100D target board arrived today. All seems to work OK with the older FET430-UIF. I used to wonder with those ZIF sockets were so expensive but having seen one up close it seems a little more

Another thing I noticed is that when using the MSP-FET instead of my MSP-FET430UIF I immediately got an EnergyTrace window showing up. Without even digging into the detail it already looks really usef

The first part of the ESI I've looked at is the Processing State Machine. The best explanation seems to be in section 4.7 of slaa639 which explains the LC base quadrature encoder example. It's particu

Posted Images

To be fair, the information is all there, but the organization confuses the hell out of me and the examples are pretty much all in assembly.

Thank you, by the way, for de-mystifying the ESI state table. I've managed to mostly wrap my head around how that table works at least.

Assuming of course that you're right about it and not just lucky. On the plus side for me even if it was luck, I'm more likely to be using quadrature than 3 sensor LC :D

@@bobnova The quadrature is definitely right because I've just decoded what is in the examples. The difference between the examples I've found is just how the Q6 and Q7 interrupts are used. They tend to be used to flag a single rotation or an error, but I suppose can be used however you want.

My single pulse version works but could perhaps be simpler. All I've done is ignore two of the possible quadrature states. If I could make any sense of the 3 sensor one I could probably simplify this.

• 6 months later...

I desperately want to build a laser cutter, so this might end up being something I want too.

I'll definitely be keeping an eye on this.

Laser etching pcbs would be glorious!

I have made a PCB exposer utilizing a 100mW blue-ray laser diode, controlled by a MSP430 of course, and fed data from a Windows app via seial comms over USB (FTDI). It provides 1200dpi resolution so no problem running 0.3mm tracks. I am using DuPont Riston dry-film with good results, also as solder mask. If this project is of interest to anybody I may make it available. Currently I am also building a 40W C02 laser cutter/engraver - no less than five MSP430s in that, one MSP430 provides engraving support while I am using Mach3 for cutting. The other processors are for coolant control, PPI handling for Mach3, power control and input switch handling.

@@terjeio I'd definitely be interested in seeing your laser cutter. Mine is a DC-K40 converted for use with Mach3 but that means it lacks support for raster engraving. Sorting this out is on my long list of things to do. The only MSP430 is a G2553 monitoring coolant. (I've pretty much given up on the ESI version.)

@@Fred Head over to buildlog.net - you will find my buildlog there. I have a few prototype PCBs for the controller that I may give away - they have a couple of routing errors but are useable.

Be aware that I am using GT2 belts and 17 teeth pulleys - this gives very close to 1200 step resolution per inch, thus simplifying the controller code a lot.