neoangel

Issues with MSP430G2 HW UART on Ubuntu 14.04

Hi guys im here to ask if you had issues using msp430 on Ubuntu, right now im using it to program my launchpad and using hw uart but always see the port shutting down and the system reports problems, does anyone knows whats going on here? my ubuntu version is 14.04

Greetings

I'm using the same version of Ubuntu with no real problems.  Could you post what you see that indicates the port shutting down?  Is it dmesg ouput?

I've got rules in /etc/udev/rules.d/ to blacklist Modem Manager for TI devices.  I had a custom set but I think that the TI/Red Hat GCC or Energia installed something newer.

70-mm-no-ti-emulators.rules

ACTION!="add|change", GOTO="mm_usb_device_blacklist_end"
SUBSYSTEM!="usb", GOTO="mm_usb_device_blacklist_end"
ENV{DEVTYPE}!="usb_device",  GOTO="mm_usb_device_blacklist_end"

# TI USB Emulators
ATTRS{idVendor}=="2047", ATTRS{idProduct}=="0010", ENV{ID_MM_DEVICE_IGNORE}="1"
ATTRS{idVendor}=="2047", ATTRS{idProduct}=="0013", ENV{ID_MM_DEVICE_IGNORE}="1"
ATTRS{idVendor}=="2047", ATTRS{idProduct}=="0014", ENV{ID_MM_DEVICE_IGNORE}="1"
ATTRS{idVendor}=="2047", ATTRS{idProduct}=="0203", ENV{ID_MM_DEVICE_IGNORE}="1"
ATTRS{idVendor}=="2047", ATTRS{idProduct}=="0204", ENV{ID_MM_DEVICE_IGNORE}="1"

LABEL="mm_usb_device_blacklist_end"

I have had better results using a separate USB-Serial (TTL) adapter wired to P1.1 & P1.2 and pulling the rx/tx jumpers.  The FET still works via the onboard USB & I can run 115200 baud. I generally use Putty. The FET needs to be connected before starting Energia and doesn't seem to handle swapping TI devices while it is running, but I have been able to swap serial adapters.

I have these udev rules:

#MSP430

SUBSYSTEM=="usb",ATTR{idVendor}=="0451",ATTR{idProduct}=="f432",GROUP="dialout",MODE="666"
#Stellaris
SUBSYSTEM=="usb",ATTR{idVendor}=="1cbe",ATTR{idProduct}=="00fd",GROUP="dialout",MODE="666"
#Arduino UNO
SUBSYSTEM=="usb",ATTR{idVendor}=="2341",ATTR{idProduct}=="0043",GROUP="dialout",MODE="666" 

I'm usually stuck with the same problem, the serial connection just looks stuck while mspdebug etc works. It appears that the TI CDC ACM implementation on the Launchpad causes some issues with the Linux CDC ACM driver. The fix here however works for me:

http://orenkishon.wordpress.com/2014/06/29/msp430-ez430-rf2500-linux-support-guide/

It requires recompiling the CDC ACM module, but is not that complicated.

USB to serial adapters are of course another option. I'm making good use of the CP2102/9 based ones as some have the full range of serial lines available, and can provide up to 100mA. Plus you can use faster speeds.