43oh

Hello from Oceanside, CA, USA

I am a hardware engineer (analog design and switching power supplies) who barely knows enough C to bust a wet paper bag. Maybe this is a friendly forum to post my stupid coding questions. Knowledge of generic C (sketchy enough in my case) is often of little help in the specialized world of embedded systems.

I am a hardware engineer (analog design and switching power supplies) who barely knows enough C to bust a wet paper bag. Maybe this is a friendly forum to post my stupid coding questions. Knowledge of generic C (sketchy enough in my case) is often of little help in the specialized world of embedded systems.

Hello, Welcome to the forum @@otto949otto

Feel free to ask your questions.. A C book( from K&R ) is recommended if you wish to get well acquainted with the language.

Welcome otto949otto,  I am just down the road in Escondido.

I am currently reading John Davies MSP430 Microcontroller Basics,  there are some good C code examples in his book.  Also download msp430ware from the TI web site or use the Apps Center  in CCS v 6 and download msp430ware.  There are a ton of code samples.  C for embedded systems is more about setting bits in registers, masking bits and shifting bits than using a lot of higher level C functions.  

The binary bitwise operators in C are very easy to use. 

Feel free to ask any C related questions though on the forum.

Another option is to start out with Energia,  a higher level dialect of C++, that is easier to use.  Get you feet web with that and then move directly to C when you feel ready.

Thanks

Joe